Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Altoncustomtech's 2001 Jimmy = slow audio build

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:12 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MTopper
looks amazing alton. love the battery/alt choices
Thanx man!

AND...

Originally Posted by etaks_crew
Looks good, nice job on the door BTW
Thank you sir!!

More updates!

Got the passenger door done yesterday. I have to say the Bravox components are well worth the money I paid. They're super smooth sounding with no harshness and they're very accurate as well. I really really can't wait to get the 125.2 on them and see how they really sound. The HU's small power so limits how good a set of speakers can sound, reaching distortion at listening levels that border on the quiet at times with bass, midbass and often midrange as well. Which is one of the many reasons that everyone should put at least a small amp on their highs. Well, enough of that, onto the pictures. Aside from the fact it's the passenger door instead of the drivers door, everything went pretty much exactly the same so I focused more on what it looks like finished than on the entire installation process like I did with the drivers door.

Got the door panel off.

Tweeter connector on.

Bravox tweeter in with new connector on.

Same as the drivers door, got the gasket foam on under the baffle to help seal, decouple, and allow for some minute adjustments.

Voila, all done and both doors don't look too shabby.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Starting Member
killallblue is on a distinguished road

Looks good it's the baby sundown blazer build

Old 03-20-2012, 09:59 AM

Thanx!

I guess it woulda been before I sold the SA-8's. I'll still have Sundown amps but the new sub setup with the SSA XCON and passive radiator enclosure should offer about the same output with better SQ.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Starting Member
killallblue is on a distinguished road

Good stuff man

Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Thank you sir.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:24 PM

Alright, not much going on here. Having to completely rethink the amp rack, looks like I'll have to build two, one on each side of the rear.

Good news tho, got the PR's yesterday!!! I want to give a BIG thank you to Aaron and Mark, the men who are SSA, for allowing me to have PR's made with the XCON dustcaps and logos on them, a BIG BIG Thank You to you both. With the PR's in hand I can start on the enclosure building and now for a few quick pics of the PR's.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Beginning Member
2000jim is on a distinguished road

So impressive, WOW! So many ideas to take away from this.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

wow. worlds first xcon PR?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by 2000jim
So impressive, WOW! So many ideas to take away from this.
Thank you, and I do hope that some of my build/installation work can help others out. That's one of the biggest reasons I love this hobby!

Originally Posted by MTopper
wow. worlds first xcon PR?
Yes, yes they are. I would also imagine that if everything works as planned they won't be the only ones either.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 AM

Well, it's a kind of progress. I've been working for awhile now to figure out how the hell to fit everything in the back of the truck. What I had originally imagined/planned for the amp rack had to be scrapped once I started getting some measurements and things going. Not enough room to do the neat angles and "floating" look I had imagined in the first place. So then I looked into mounting them angled and such with one on each side and about every configuration I could come up with and none were quite right. So finally I tried this last design out, along with a lot of cardboard templates and it looks like this will work out very well. The XS Power XP950 battery will be located inside/under the amp rack and the SAZ-1500D will simply be mounted flat on the rack with the SAX-125.2 mounted above it using threaded aluminum spacers. It's not a jaw dropper like I was trying to go for in the first place, but it will look good enough and function well which is most important.

On to the Sketchup drawings.

Here's basically what it will look like when I open the back of the truck.

Angle more from the front. You can see the angle for the back of the seats.

Here you can see the basic location for the XP950 and where the wheel well will be covered and hidden by the rack. The back cover will be removable for access to the battery. The rack will be bolted down to the back of the truck with three 5/16" bolts. I will also be able to access the wingnuts that will hold the amp rack to the bolts for quick removal when needed.

Quick Reply: Altoncustomtech's 2001 Jimmy = slow audio build