Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Cargo roof rack

Old 01-14-2009, 10:39 AM
breakjaw357 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cargo roof rack

Hey guys i was wondering what the best route too take was for an off road safari rack. i cant seem to find a good one. i want to be able to mount some lights on top and a rear hatch spot light.I still want to be able to open the sunroof because i have a weapon mount to shoot out the top. ive seen some pretty sick blazers on herer with cool racks but i just cant seem to get an answer. thanks

Old 01-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Blazin NC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Cargo roof rack

Mine is a Surco, got it from www.everythingsuv.com. You can get any size you want if you don't to come over your sunroof. What do you shoot out of the top of your Blazer??

Old 01-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Starting Member
butters is an unknown quantity at this point

looking to buy or build? if buy mine is a yakima and its great, they have a top of great extras you can get for it to. build, isnt head though, some 1/2 inch or inch piping a pipe bender and some basic welding skills and you should be good. the yakimas are expencive but well worth it,. check out there reviw on youtube

Old 01-14-2009, 05:29 PM
kbaker308 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm actually making one right now, i will have pictures up in a week or two probably, i am just doing it as a casual project along with pre runner bar, and a new pre runner style bumper.

But it measures 50"x43.5"x4" and attaches to the roof in the same spot the factory rack does, it does not attach directly too the factory roof rack like some i have seen. I made modular Kayak and Surf board attachments (I'm in Florida). The rack is very beefy and will support more weight then the roof could probably and it only weights ~35 pounds. I can get some Design pictures up later probably. By the way i also have a sunroof and this is made to work with it.

The things i would consider if you were making one.
1. Modular attachments for your accessories
2. Hook recepticals for budgie cords, ropes, and tie downs.
3. Standard mounting base for 5 gallon NATO gas cans.
4. A need a clean way to run light wires into the roof and stay water proof.

I do have an extensive metal shop in the garage, but all you need is a small mig welder at minimum and you don't even really need a tube bender, you can use 45* cuts if you wanted too.

The grand total in materials and paint will be $80 and around 15 hours of work time.

I would just like to add that if you have the resources and the know how, building your own is defiantly the way to go.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:29 PM
breakjaw357 is an unknown quantity at this point

im looking to buy but i do want a shovel and ax mountable rack