General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Roof Rack/Roof Basket mounting properly

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:17 PM
CPLSeraphim is on a distinguished road
Default Roof Rack/Roof Basket mounting properly

So, I have an aluminum roof basket I would like to mount to my blazer. I have the stock roof rack on it that I would like to sit the roof basket on top of and mount there, reason being so it doesn't scratch. I am curious on if there is a specific way roof baskets must be mounted, or can I, for the mean time, utilize ratchet straps to hold it on until I make the proper brackets to be on securely?

Old 05-20-2014, 04:27 PM
05canjimmy is on a distinguished road

my roof basket came with the mounting brackets but they are pretty much just a really thin u bold bent/formed to wrap around both the basket and roof rack

Old 05-20-2014, 05:17 PM
CPLSeraphim is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I bought this basket knowing it was for a vehicle like a Cherokee with a gutter. I can make it work, but making/modifying something to connect it to the blazer. I just really liked the size, and figure, even after mounting, I'll have ratchet straps there for whenever I need them. (I know they will get crappy eventually, and I have some in the vehicle, but as an added security.)

After I get the roof rack on, I have to get my lightbar on, and the CB antenna. As always, a work in progress.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 PM
smaiwald is on a distinguished road

I made my own basket out of electrical conduit. I took out the stock cross pieces and attched the basket to the stock side rails with conduit clamps and self taping screws. The basket sits inside the side rails. I coated the whole thing and the side rails in spray on bedliner so I didnt care about scratchs.