Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

CSFI to MFI Conversion Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 PM
b00xtreme is on a distinguished road

ok wasn't exactly sure...thanks for the info

Old 09-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

so kyle, i was reading another thread about this conversion and you said you had a tip for doing the #3 cylinder but you never got to mention it in the other thread and its a closed thread. so whats the tip?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Beginning Member
sjmcarz is on a distinguished road

Did this conversion on my wifes 2000 Olds Bravada this past week. Have had mainly cold starting issues for the past few years, much worse in winter. Had the fuel pump replaced under an extended warranty that I had purchased years ago, fuel regulator replaced, did complete tune up. Each time these items were done, there was somewhat of an improvement in starting but still had issues. Got real bad with the onset of cold weather these past few weeks. Warranty was expired so got a Delphi unit on Ebay.

Took appx. 2 hours and the toughest part was disconnecting/reconnecting the fuel lines at the back of the engine, and maneuvering the plenum out from under the wiring harness.I did use a 5/8 line wrench to start and then switched to an open end wrench. As mentioned in a different thread, a crows foot and shorter wrench will make it easier, but I mananged to to do with what I had. Remember to also loosen/remove the bracket at the back of the engine that holds the fuel lines. TIP:When reinstalling the fuel lines, partially insert the fuel lines into the injector unit and then connect and tighten the 5/8 fittings at the back of the engine. Then go back and push the lines all the way into the injector unit. This will make the line fittings easier to start and tighten. Make sure that you disconnect the wiring harness that goes over top of the engine in many places as you can, including hold down clips to make plenum removal easier.

The new unit did come with a new bracket, so I did use that one. It also came with the upper seal that goes around the top of the injection unit. Coat this with motor oil so that the plenum slides over it easier, and coat the fuel lines also before inserting them into the unit. The original plenum gasket was in good shape so that was wiped off, coated with oil, and reused, as well as wiping/cleaning the mating surface on the manifold.

One of the 10mm plenum bolts is under the radiator hose, but I was able to just squeeze the hose enough to get my 1/4 inch drive extension on it.

There is a video on YouTube explaining how to disconnect a couple of the hoses. They can be tricky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrPrPUgNLf0

The conversion was well worth it. The vehicle now starts on the first try and runs great. I'm curious to see if the fuel economy improves.