Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

custom bumper and sliders

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

So you're going to cut it at the chalk line? I would if it lines up with the fender better & gives you a little more clearance.

Plasma cutters are kick ***! Excellent cuts, little to no kerf, very little heat distortion, no heat up time like with oxy/acetylene & fast!
Only issue is $$$.

Last edited by Rottidog; 01-15-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Starting Member
bowshooter1 is on a distinguished road

ya i cut it at the chalk line and it looks alot better now i just got to plate that bottom piece it lines up alot better with the fender. and ya plasma cutters are awesome if i ever get the money im gonna buy a ebay plasma. i dont know if it is a good or bad thing but i went to put the bumper back on and it was an extremely tight fit i had to use a sledge hammer to line up the bolts and then taking the bumper off i had to hook a cable to it and pull it off using an old satelight pole. good thing i made the bumper adjustable!!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

lol sounds like the metal moved a bit when you welded it. You can always tack weld a brace in place & grind off the tacks afterwords. Also weld the side that will be away from where you want the piece to fit 1st but have the other side tacked well. It's amazing how much steel will move when welded.
Get some scrap, line up one piece perpendicular to the other & run a bead on one side, just an inside corner weld, no tack welds on the opposite side... watch how much that vertical piece moves! Blacksmiths know this to a T & use it to form things & make things fit just by applying heat to a certain area.

WTG on the adjustable part... it's always good to leave leeway for changes in the future.

Last edited by Rottidog; 01-15-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Starting Member

ya its nice for it to be adjustable i just didnt think it would move that much the mounts are 1/4 inch welded to 1/4 inch so the main plate is 1/2 inch and i thought it would be pretty solid in that way. but on the other hand i had my hans on a couple of those pieces while i was welding them and you could just feel the metal moving but i pushed back and it stopped it from moving too much.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Starting Member

ok its not quite finished yet but hopefully ill finish it up tomorrow but its bedlinered and on the truck.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:59 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Looks beastly now! Love it

Old 01-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by CraigSnedeker
Looks beastly now! Love it
thanks ive only had it on for a couple of days and already had lots of compliments. it should look even more beastly with the tubing added and the rest of the bumper boxed in.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Looks pretty good, I like it. What's going on with the flat open area in the middle? I know you mentioned tubes, but what about the back of it?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Starting Member

im gonna put lights in the middle and tube and i wasnt sure if i wanted it to be flat or not but i like the flat place it gives me a place to step and makes mountnig lights easier and i still have to put flat pieces on top of the bumper underneath the lights. i might change some stuff too.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

I get that part, I meant across the back to cover up the gap between the bumper and grill.

Quick Reply: custom bumper and sliders