Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

First Blazer and my first build

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 03:52 PM
Amazinblaze is on a distinguished road
Default First Blazer and my first build

So this is the first forum I’ve ever joined. I was given a 1998 4x4 Blazer LS. It’s in pretty good shape. Runs and shifts very well for 303km. Short term goal is getting a couple things fixed up to pass an out of province inspection as it came from Saskatchewan. Once I get that it’s a blank canvas. There’s no annual safety, emissions checks or anything to go through.Long term goal (dream) is a SAS, 35’s, beefed up driveline, bumpers with winches front and back, and a sweet boat rack. I’ll post pictures as I go and hopefully it’s interesting enough for some of you to leave a comment and offer advice. Cheers!

Last edited by Amazinblaze; 08-08-2018 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 08-08-2018, 05:25 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Looks good for it's age. If it's mechanically sound then you've got a great starter vehicle. Please post your progress with pics whenever possible. Enjoy!!

Old 08-08-2018, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
Looks good for it's age. If it's mechanically sound then you've got a great starter vehicle. Please post your progress with pics whenever possible. Enjoy!!
it’s got a bit of trail rash on the drivers side but that’s ok. I’m sure it will get more. Just heard from the shop. Needs windshield, muffler, front right signal (those were expected) and a pitman arm then I can register it.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:38 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Looks like a nice starting platform. Be sure to check out the threads describing common issues with these trucks. The two that come to mind are the leaky oil lines and the catastrophic failures of the lower intake manifold (LIM) gaskets. The former is an annoyance but the later can ruin an engine in seconds. As soon as I learned about the LIM gasket failures I replaced them with the upgraded ones from FelPro. While I was in there I upgraded the fuel injection spider too.

Looking forward to your updates!

Old 08-08-2018, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208
Looks like a nice starting platform. Be sure to check out the threads describing common issues with these trucks. The two that come to mind are the leaky oil lines and the catastrophic failures of the lower intake manifold (LIM) gaskets. The former is an annoyance but the later can ruin an engine in seconds. As soon as I learned about the LIM gasket failures I replaced them with the upgraded ones from FelPro. While I was in there I upgraded the fuel injection spider too.

Looking forward to your updates!
thanks for the tips

Old 08-09-2018, 08:22 PM

Got a few hours in on the Blazer today. Parts will be in tomorrow so I removed them in preparation. Front shocks out, steering box out for pitman arm, sway bar bushings out.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:06 PM
Default Update

So this is what I’ve done to the blazer so far.
New shocks
New pitman arm
New hood release cable
Got the 3 button 4x4 switch working
Oil change
New sway bar bushings

Now to get a safety I need muffler and tail pipe. Windshield needs to be replaced.
The shop I went to is telling me they won’t pass it without the power door locks being operational. There is power going to all four doors but the locks only try a little, no locking or unlocking. Replaced fuse and relay just in case. Same symptoms. Pulled the switches and cleaned them, same symptoms. Any one ever had this problem?

Old 08-21-2018, 09:23 AM
Timmins_Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Subscribed,
I am looking forward to the bumpers... Keep us posted with pics. Keep up the good work, you will enjoy the ride