Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Giving Jimmy Some Love

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:28 PM
TStoddard is on a distinguished road
Default Giving Jimmy Some Love

OK, where to begin. I've had the 98 Jimmy about 5 years and drove it as purchased. It was clean as could be and only had 83k on it without a scratch inside or out. I was a nice little truck, but it wasn't really mine. Installing new Cat here....

Last edited by TStoddard; 02-15-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:58 PM

Unfortunately it became just a daily driver, and got REALLY tired over the last few years. The back end squatted, the front end clunked and the check engine light was never ending..... always something. After a broken hood latch ruined the hood & shattered the windshield on the highway, It was time for a change.

Last edited by TStoddard; 02-07-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:10 PM

Over the last few months it has received a new windshield, color code matching blazer hood, and new ignition parts from plugs up including distributor. I went through the suspension replacing leaf packs +1, all new shocks, and replaced everything in the front end that moves. Now its sitting back up lick it should. I am contemplating pulling out the +1 and changing the shackles though. I'm not a fan of the stiffness in the back.

Last edited by TStoddard; 02-07-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:15 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Looking good! That's a clean truck!

Old 02-07-2019, 05:17 PM

With mechanical issues resolved I turned to cosmetics. The inside is still near perfect so I worked on little details outside. Blacking out the rear badging and getting rid of the off color bumper pads were first on the list. The silver Jimmy and red GMC just didn't flow. I've seen alot of guys using Plasti-Dip for bumbers but I didn't go that route. Transtar 4643 Matte Finish was easy to use, permanent and stays flexible without chipping flaking or peeling. Really good stuff! I'll never have to worry about Peeling-Plasti! I should add that I used plasti-dip as a masking agent on the badging though. Instead of removing the badging, spray it + 2" with plasti dip. Then I peeled the plasti off the badging but left it on the paint. Then just masked out further on top of the remaining plasti. Once the badging was dry, remove tape & plasti from paint. There you have it, tight easy masking of badging!

Last edited by TStoddard; 02-09-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:23 PM

Next.... yea you guessed it, those tail light gotta go! And Franken-Jimmy was coming to life!

Old 02-07-2019, 05:26 PM

Next week will be new wheels and tires and I'll start getting the gray off the front end and go black with it too. It was dubbed Franken-Jimmy by a co-worker because it doesn't even look like the same truck. I'll put some pics up as it progresses now that I figured out how!

Old 02-07-2019, 05:28 PM

Thanks cleburne red.... I think I'm addicted! LOL

Old 02-07-2019, 07:36 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

So, what's the plans after the cosmetics are done?

Old 02-08-2019, 05:17 AM

I plan to also get rid of the rust on the frame rails that can be seen. The underbody on this is in incredible condition to be 21 years on. After that probably exhaust, after that I don't know..... ideas would be great! I'd like to upgrade the tunes but not putting in a sound system that's worth more than KBB of the vehicle either..... LOL

Last edited by TStoddard; 02-08-2019 at 05:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Giving Jimmy Some Love