Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

GMC Jimmy 2.5" Lift 31x10.5 etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 AM
dustinhxc is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Yeah here in VA the law states that if its on a truck frame the back windows can be as dark as you want the only ones they can write you for are the driver and passenger front windows. The legal limit here is 50% on those two windows. Mine are 10% on all the rear windows and 35% on the front two but they look way darker with the dark interior and dark back windows. I went to the eye doctor and got myself a fancy little note that says I'm allowed to have the 35% since my eyes are sensitive to the sunlight. So even if I get stopped I have my get out of jail free pass listed on my license and registration of my truck
Yeah its 50% for front here too. Thats awesome man I got a note from my doctor a few years ago too for sensative eyes! Told her I get migraines. But they made the law more strict now you need to get it from an eye doctor and it has to be renewed every year or 2 years I forget. So I havent bothered for another one yet.

Originally Posted by 05BlackJimmy
Damn I gotta go to your doctor, my doctor wont do that for me!
hehehe

Originally Posted by pj5454302
I have 5% over all the back windows besides the rearmost window (need to see out at night) and 2.5% on my front windows. And its real dark!! But after having it I wouldnt have it any other way. You can not see in the back windows. You can put your face up to the window and cup your hands and you still cant see in.
The front is dark but its not too bad. Night driving took some getting used to but its worth it. Even at night you cant see in. Try it and you will love the privacy, just take it easy for the first few night drives.
Yeah I LOVE the privacy! SO dark during the day even noone can see in. But for the front windows I dont think I could go darker then my 30. I had 20 on an old car and that was almost too much for seeing at night out the front.

Originally Posted by Z85TB
Oh I see. I think the stock is around 19% on those back 3 windows. I knew the very back on a truck could be whatever, but the sides technically aren't supposed to have more than 50, but on SUVs they seem to not look at it as much. I had my fronts matched to the rest since it looked funny otherwise, which I think they're at 20%. I have a neighbor with almost the same S10 TrailBlazer as I have and he said he had one cop harass 'em about the rear door tint and he told 'em it was factory smoked! I think he was just looking to pick the truck apart though looking to write a ticket or two. I guess for that matter driving thru Woodbury (the truck is in Woodbury a lot) my tint isn't too much different than yours, front a little darker and back not as much.

I'd like to get that high beam kit like that, for all three GMs really.
As for the DRLs... were you/are you not aware you could disable those using the factory 'dome overide' button?
yeah if they try to give you a ticket for the middle and its stock then they cant. but the front i could get a ticket. Nice Im in woodbury too and no cops have hassled me yet in a few years now. I thought you had to hit it every time you got in right?

That's too dark for my taste, and somewhat dangerous at night IMO. I have 5% on my Sierra's rear slider and it's damn dark at night. I actually slide it open to see out if I'm backing up at night. For a rear window I do like the darkness, but that's the downfall - the night visibility. Not as big of a deal w/a slider obviously but I wouldn't want anything darker than 19/20 on my sides.
yeah its scary at night i cant see out the back! but at least my fronts arent too dark they are ok.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:25 AM

Me and my buddy installed a remote start on my jimmy! it works great and I cant wait for the snow to hit and use it!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Z85TB is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dustinhxc
Nice Im in woodbury too and no cops have hassled me yet in a few years now. I thought you had to hit it every time you got in right?
Yeah you do, but it's not a big deal, just click it 4 times and it stays off 'till you either click it again or the key comes out. I don't think it resets if put in park and taken out while still running. For me it's just an automatic habit to click 'em off when I start the truck if it's light out. Likewise it's an automatic habit to click on the clear fogs as it gets dark.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Z85TB is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dustinhxc
Me and my buddy installed a remote start on my jimmy! it works great and I cant wait for the snow to hit and use it!
Does your buddy wanna do another one?

Old 11-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Beginning Member
IronDobe is on a distinguished road

Love the Jimmy man! I've got a green 2000 that I have been wanting to set up just like yours. Same lift and all even. Only thing Ive managed to do with mine so far is put a light bar on the front and a roof basket on top.

First thing I want to do is black out the chrome around the grill like yours and I'd like to find a way to black out the silver rub strip on the sides and back.

I've been wanting to do the RC 2.5 lift and bigger tires for a while now but didn't know what it would look like or drive like and didn't know if I'd be happy with it. Glad I saw yours, my mind is made up, I'm doing it as soon as I have the money.

Mine will still be a daily driver so I'm curious how much the bigger tires and lift affected your gas mileage.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Beginning Member
BLAZINRCW93 is on a distinguished road

Such a clean Jimmy..I'd trade my zr2 for this anyday...Think its time i find myself one..

Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Beginning Member
Curtis Hieb is on a distinguished road

thats nice.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM

Got my pass side CV Joint replaced today! Did the Driver side a couple months ago! So both are nice and new before snow fall! Sanded all rust off my trailer hitch and painted w anti rust semi flat black. will be putting that on in a day or two! Also i went ahead and got the warranty on my tires. better to pay $15 a tire now then $220 a tire if i run some stupid *** bottle over or something...

Does your buddy wanna do another one?
Sorry man but he said he really didnt enjoy doing it haha too much wiring!!!

Originally Posted by IronDobe
Love the Jimmy man! I've got a green 2000 that I have been wanting to set up just like yours. Same lift and all even. Only thing Ive managed to do with mine so far is put a light bar on the front and a roof basket on top.

First thing I want to do is black out the chrome around the grill like yours and I'd like to find a way to black out the silver rub strip on the sides and back.

I've been wanting to do the RC 2.5 lift and bigger tires for a while now but didn't know what it would look like or drive like and didn't know if I'd be happy with it. Glad I saw yours, my mind is made up, I'm doing it as soon as I have the money.

Mine will still be a daily driver so I'm curious how much the bigger tires and lift affected your gas mileage.
Thats awesome man! The grille is from ebay! I just had to wd40 and unscrew my GMC badge and put it on the new badge, while i was at it i sanded them down and got rid of the rust on em. i wanted to get rid of my rub strips as well. i took the panel off and there is holes so i put em back on and figured the hell w it haha.. I just did the MPG a couple fill ups ago. Under normal driving highway and city no off road. 15mpg. that is a fair mpg for having overly sized tires. I really like the look of the goodyear wrangler durtracks though.. i may go that route next round. but i do love my BFGs!!

Originally Posted by BLAZINRCW93
Such a clean Jimmy..I'd trade my zr2 for this anyday...Think its time i find myself one..
dude that means alot thank you..

Originally Posted by Curtis Hieb
thats nice.
thanks man!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 PM

Teaser shot...

Attached Thumbnails GMC Jimmy 2.5" Lift 31x10.5 etc-vq06iu.jpg  
Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 PM

I have to save for my wedding over the next year but in a couple years Im contemplating a 2" body lift and then upgrading to probably 32x11.50 so I dont have to cut into my nice flares any more than I already have haha even though 33x12.50 do look so fn sexy!

Quick Reply: GMC Jimmy 2.5" Lift 31x10.5 etc