Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Help needed with gearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 10:07 PM
Wiytboi is on a distinguished road
Default Help needed with gearing

Hay so I have a 94 blazer with 4in lift kit, 35x12.50r20 tires, has a vortex 350 crate motor with tbi on it, aluminum drive line rebuilt tranny, and motor it's also tuned by Brian Harris. Now I'm at the point that it's also gonna needed regeared. My intent for the truck is towing here and there as needed a car trailer. Along with just whatever driving when I do drive it.. so my problem is I have no clue what ratio would be a good choice. It's a gt4 at the moment I believe it's 3.83. any idea or info or related builds that could give me an idea of what kinda gearing I should be looking into doing on my truck.. for info purpose here's the best as she sits..

Old 12-10-2022, 10:38 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I had a '94 with 35s and 4.56 gears, and it was just about perfect. 4.88s probably would have been fine, too, but I wasn't doing a ton of towing with it. If you are, you might consider those.

Old 12-10-2022, 11:18 AM

L had a '94 with 35s and 4.56 gears, and it was just about perfect. 4.88s probably would have been fine, too, but I wasn't doing a ton of towing with it. If you are, you might consider those.[/QUOTE]
I plan to do some towing i probably equal parts towing and driving. Maybe even more towing then. Ok so I'll look into 4.56 or 4.88 next question when you regeared did you have to get a new carrier for the front diff. Also did you get it as a kit to install or pieces together? If it was a kit where did you get it from and roughly how much did it cost you Was

Old 12-10-2022, 11:34 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Wiytboi
I plan to do some towing i probably equal parts towing and driving. Maybe even more towing then. Ok so I'll look into 4.56 or 4.88 next question when you regeared did you have to get a new carrier for the front diff. Also did you get it as a kit to install or pieces together? If it was a kit where did you get it from and roughly how much did it cost you Was
It was 25 years ago, so I really don't remember a lot of specifics. But I did NOT need to buy a new carrier for the front. For the rear, I upgraded to a 14-bolt semi-floater with a Detroit Locker, so I just bought the right stuff to fit. I don't remember it all being available as a kit, but I did buy all the parts and replace everything. I don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't cheap, and it's probably at least 3 times as much now.

Old 12-10-2022, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tom A
It was 25 years ago, so I really don't remember a lot of specifics. But I did NOT need to buy a new carrier for the front. For the rear, I upgraded to a 14-bolt semi-floater with a Detroit Locker, so I just bought the right stuff to fit. I don't remember it all being available as a kit, but I did buy all the parts and replace everything. I don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't cheap, and it's probably at least 3 times as much now.
Great. Lol ok well good to know. The ratio was the important part I was trying to figure out. I was told that the front carrier would have to be replaced due to bigger gears that would have to occupied it and that rear diff would be fine.. I'm gonna try and find it as a kit, I'm sure rigid axles or yukon should have some type of kit. Someone who had similar setup so I could get an idea of the ratio to shot for. Now for happy gear hunting. Lol.

Old 12-10-2022, 12:06 PM
BF Veteran

It looks like the carrier break on the front diff is at 3.42, so it depends on what you have now. Mine was a pickup, and I think it had 3.73 originally, which would explain why I didn't have to change mine. I'm not sure what yours would be.

BTW, I've used East Coast Gear Supply for more recent stuff, and I would recommend them.