Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

A list of typical/cool mods?

Old 04-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Beginning Member
FirePhage is on a distinguished road
Default A list of typical/cool mods?

Greetings all!

I recently bought a beautiful 98 4x4x4 LT with a Vortec V6, and am looking to make some mods. I've been perusing the forums, and found some really cool threads covering all sorts of stuff from tail light covers/blackouts to HID headlight conversions, to lift kits, front grill upgrades and so on. But the information is kinda all over the place, and I don't want to miss any cool stuff.

So, what are the cool mods? Im particularly interested in asthetic mods, interior upgrades, and anything that'll make my ride more economical! lol But anything and everything is of interest. so waddayagot?!

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Starting Member
Murphy Mumgart is on a distinguished road

If you're looking for a cheap upgrade, you can get interior LED's for $20
Some people like window tints, if they're legal where you are, they can make a car look cooler.
If you want something to make your blazer more economical i recommend buying a small block of wood and putting it under your gas pedal.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

you can look into the hypertech power tuners for more power and more economical. you can also look for bravada/envoy/trailblazer/jimmy diamond edition interior to spruce up the inside. you can also look for aftermarket exhausts, cold air intakes and such. you can also for the interior look for the double din dash bezel and get a dvd unit, you can usually find those in bravadas and 03 and newer blazers and jimmies. fitted floor mats from weathertech or husky also really make a difference. you could get new rims bolt pattern is 5x4.75 and don't get anything with less than 4" backspacing or you will have rubbing issues. the list goes on and on

Old 04-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Beginning Member

Cool- good info- thanks guys! My windiws are already tinted, and they make my truck look trick. DVD unit is on my list. rims are too, but will have to wait for the financing.

I'd like to raise my truck up. Been thinking about doing a shackle flip, but am concerned about possible mechanical issues from that. Haven't decided how high I want to go yet, but a couple inches is a good start. Any info one raising the front end?

I want to add one of the swing out tire carriers on the back too. But since these trucks dont have much storage space, I figure I'll leave the spare tire where its at and build a box on the carrier to put some of my bug-out gear in.

Of course, I plan to put a hitch on my truck, trying to decide if I want nerf bars or running boards (the kind that are molded to the body. And also a bumper guard of some kind too.

Underbody lights and LEDs all over the place lol

Anyone got a solution for a subwoofer setup that doesnt take up any floor space?

Oh, and when I was looking to buy a 4x4, I was hoping to buy a diesel- are there any engine swaps that will work here? I've got the Vortec V6 currently.
Thanks!!!

Last edited by FirePhage; 04-09-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:42 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

jl audio makes a stealth box. its $500 for the box and the sub, not sure if it comes with an amp

Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Beginning Member

The stealthbox looks good, but just seems rather pricey. I looked at the installation instructions, and am pretty sure I can build my own much cheaper, and with similar quality. Thanks for the suggestion, it gave me some very neat ideas.

I'm thinking... fill a trash bag with expanding foam, and cram it into the space where the speaker enclosure will go (up against the wall, behind the rear weel well) and work it into shape. Once the foam cures, I can fine tune this mold by cutting areas out to make the final case thicker, or adding more foam in low areas or cracks. Once the mold is acceptable, its a simple matter of covering it with fiberglass and resin. I see alot of talk around here about covering chrome trim with spray on bedliner, I am asuming (since I've never worked with it before) that it creates a fairly ridgid layer of plastic, which I've been wondering might be used instead of the fiberglass. Using multiple layers to build up the thickness might make a nice solid plastic speakerbox.

Either way, once the bedliner or fiberglass is cured, it'd be a simple matter or using some solvent (acetone/paint thinner) to eat away the foam from inside the new exterior casing. The speaker opening would be good for accessing the inside of the box. Just remember that it should be thoroughly washed out before installing, unless you like that chemical smell all up in your ride.

Once this is done, just mount your speaker in it, run your wiring through to box, hook it up to your stereo, and mounth it into place.

Thats the plan, anyway lol I intend to do a pair- left and right, for a set of stereo subs- hoping to go with 12 inch subs.