Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

mdehoogh's 98 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

nice ride! for the holes in the fender after trimming (towards firewall) is hallow, as you know. Your tire will kick dirty sandy, gritty water and such into the door jam. At least it did on mine after trimming (and beating in the fender with a sledge) but I just sprayed expanding foam in there and spray painted it black, kinda redneck but it works.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

The expanding foam is a good idea, I had planned on trying to find some way to cover the gap and make it look better but after having it like this for a few weeks I don't even notice the cut anymore. I haven't noticed the water in the door sill yet anymore than usual but I may get some of the spray foam anyway.

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Does it interfere with your headlights at all? Hit the valence?
It was right up against the tow hooks and impact strip on the bumper. It looks like its real close to the headlights but I won't really know for sure until I can test them when it gets dark later tonight. I can probably lengthen the holes to allow for a little more adjustment though

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
this is going to be one of my next upgrades, don't want to mess up my new grill. how solid is that? do you think you could put a winch on it?
It seems like it will be solid. I was really only planning on getting the brackets installed yesterday and didn't have enough extra bolts to hold the guard in place very well so I wasn't able to get a very good feel for how strong it really is.

I don't think you'd want to mount a winch to this though. The WARN guard that's made for a winch has much thicker and stronger brackets to hold it in place.

Here's some pictures of the Warn mounts on a ZR2

Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Are there any upper mounts for it, or just those on the bottom?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:00 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

lol I'd love to get a warn one but thats soooo much money

Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by s14sh3r
Are there any upper mounts for it, or just those on the bottom?
No upper mounts, I thought about adding some but I got it all bolted on tonight and it's a lot stronger than I thought it would be.

Also, it does cut off some light. I took it for a short drive tonight and it wasn't too bad but I'll probably end up modifying the brackets slightly to allow it to move a little higher up. It's resting against my bumper so I'll cut the impact strip a little to see if that's whats stopping it from raising any more

Old 01-14-2011, 12:47 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
Also, found a wrecked Z at a junkyard today and I'm gonna go and get some parts. Anyone know if the rear leaf springs would work on mine? I suppose I could keep my top spring the same and just add a leaf or two from another pack to help.
those leafs will fit no problem. plus, they're give you the @' of lift, so you can get rid of the shackles (if you wish). the ZR's "eye" on the main spring is hung in the oposite direction of the non-ZR's.

Originally Posted by mdehoogh
Picked up a grill guard for $50 today :P

that's was quite the score Matt. and i'm pretty sure it is a Westin. it looks identical to a Westin bar this guy on Kijiji was getting rid of last Fall.

truck is coming along nicely now. keep up the good work.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:50 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

it could be a hunter as well, they all look the same, I don't know if you really need the upper brackets at the junk yard today there was a cherokee with one similar and me and my buddy could stand on it and it didn't move at all, those brackets are pretty solid even for a truck that doesnt have a frame

Old 01-15-2011, 02:21 PM
BF Veteran

Hunter's are a little different. The lower bar by the license plate has two bends in it and dips down, the upper bar isn't as long and the thinner bars in front of the lights are attached where mine are separate pieces that are removable.

courtesy of Phil;

From the research I've done, it seems like Westin did make several different versions (separate Chevy and GMC) and I've only seen the 98+ versions of them. Mine may just be an earlier design and I haven't seen the 95-97 Westin so I won't rule it out.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:31 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

I did the great stuff foam in my open area when i cut my fenders and it dident work well. It started to fall apart and then fall out lol

Old 01-25-2011, 09:21 AM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

sir a big fan of your build and has given me some good ides. thank you thankyou.

Quick Reply: mdehoogh's 98 build