Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

mdehoogh's 98 build

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:54 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

The 820 is a steel frame. Mine is a 4300 which, I think, is identical except for an alloy frame and maybe different wheels. I love it but there isn't enough dirt around to ride on

And yes my paint booth worked well. Last time I painted anything I made a booth out of pizza boxes and other random scraps of cardboard... This plastic drop cloth worked much better.

I got the TX bowtie sticker at an offroad place near here. I've also seen some at the dealer parts desk but they were for the larger bowties like a silverado or tahoe would have.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Will figure out the weight of some shacks to quote shipping!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:08 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Just got a call back from discount tire and it looks like I'll be getting some 31" Goodyear Duratracs Hopefully they'll be there within the next day or two

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Will figure out the weight of some shacks to quote shipping!

Last edited by mdehoogh; 11-04-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:31 PM
BF Veteran

A while back I got a set of smooth rear endcaps to replace the current ones I have (with trim attached). They are from an older truck with a flat-top bumper and they are shorter than the stock ones I had. I tried them before but decided it looked better with trim than with the bumper gap but last night I decided to install them and see how it looks after a couple days.

While I had the endcaps off, I cut off my corvette-style dual exhaust tip. Now all I need is a newer style bumper and my new wheels on and I'll be completely red and black with no silver/chrome.

What do you guys think? The trim-less endcaps are about an inch too short but the gap is really only noticeable from the back whereas the trim is noticeable from all angles. Keep the trim or keep the shorter smooth ones?

I'll keep looking for some longer smooth ones too.

Also, it looks like I might have to wait a few weeks before I'll have money for the new tires I was ready to get them this weekend but some unexpected bills came up so they'll have to wait...

Old 12-09-2010, 11:11 PM
BF Veteran

What do you guys think about these?
Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo

I almost scored a set of fairly new 31" BFG T/A KO's last night for $350 but the guy ended up selling to someone else.

Checked craigslist again and found the Bridgestones above. They're one of the highest rated tires on tirerack.com and the guy is only asking $200 for the set. He rated them at 70-80% condition

What say you? I think I'll probably go ahead and get them

Last edited by mdehoogh; 12-09-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:15 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I say go for it, I had Duelers on my truck and hated them but they weren't the Revo's which are a much better model. Actually a friend of mine had those on his 2500 and loved them.

Last edited by oktain; 12-09-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Banned
djerock is on a distinguished road

Nice score..

Old 12-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Nice! Try to get them if you can. And I like the new rear section on the truck without the molding. So are you getting rid of the Corvette tip?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I put the Michelin LTX A/T 2 tire on my Tahoe and they are GREAT! Nice open tread for good mud traction (I've used them!) and do very well in the snow as well. Low noise on dry roads which is good too.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:47 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Phil
Nice! Try to get them if you can. And I like the new rear section on the truck without the molding. So are you getting rid of the Corvette tip?
Yeah the tip is gone, I'm trying to remove ALL chrome/silver so that it's just black and red. That's also why I kept the rear section without the molding even though it doesn't fit right, at least it doesn't have the chrome.

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I put the Michelin LTX A/T 2 tire on my Tahoe and they are GREAT! Nice open tread for good mud traction (I've used them!) and do very well in the snow as well. Low noise on dry roads which is good too.
Yeah I saw the Michelin's the other day but the place I was at was asking $160each. The less I spend on tires, the more I can spend on other replacement parts.

If I buy new, it will most likely be Firestone AT or General Grabber AT2. These bridgestones for $50 each seem like the best value right now though.

Quick Reply: mdehoogh's 98 build