Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My custom aluminum front bumper.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Beginning Member
blademasterii is on a distinguished road
Default My custom aluminum front bumper.

I figured I'd start my own thread since I will be updating it as I go. Didn't want to hijack the other thread for that. Everything is built from 3/8 by 5'' 6061 aluminum. I've only manged to get two and a half hours of time to work on it. Hope to get most of it finished fabbed and welded this friday. Added the two side pieces today at lunch. The plan is for another row of 5'' plates below the ones already built. The next set will be angled back about 45 degrees. The center section will be punched with 1'' holes for airflow and perhaps 1'' D ring mounts that will bolt to the frame as well as be welded to the front.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:58 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Looks good so far.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:31 PM
Beginning Member
Blazer Spike is on a distinguished road

It's different that's for sure.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How do you plan on staving off corrosion between the steel frame/bolts & the aluminum bumper?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Beginning Member

Stainless steel hardware. It will also be painted. I've not decided whether to paint it body color or just leave it black. Probably body color. We use stainless hardware on all our marine industry stuff. It will also eventually corrode, but nothing 10 minutes of work wont repair.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Beginning Member

Today at lunch.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:18 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

My neck is sore from looking left & right lol. Nice tig welds btw!
Alumi-Brite or a aluminum mag cleaner should remove the smoke stains (helps with paint or powder coating adhesion).

With any stainless hardware/fasteners we use a nickle anti-seize on the threads, it helps prevent galling, freezing together & corrosion.
Corrosion on SS? Yes, after the nut is tightened up it'll gall & corrode together.
We have to use it on all stainless fasteners for the railways we make products for, aluminum & otherwise just for that reason.

I've thought about custom bumpers, one thing for sure I'd have are pocket driving lights. Probably projectors & being in the bumper they're pretty safe & low as they should be.
Have access holes or accommodations for D rings that are attached to the frame & possibly boxing the front frame & cross bracing the frames together where they attach.
I know there are some laws that bumpers have to be of a certain content carbon steel or manufactured by an approved facility... just saying.

Looking forward to seeing this through it's creation!

Last edited by Rottidog; 09-22-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: not so freaking W i d e lol
Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Looks good, and great work!

Old 09-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Beginning Member

Old 09-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Beginning Member

Quick Reply: My custom aluminum front bumper.