Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My custom aluminum front bumper.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 08:33 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

That looks great! Those angled corners really make it look much, much better.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:49 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Very nice man! Have you decided on paint or bed liner or?

Old 09-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Beginning Member
blademasterii is on a distinguished road

The bottom row of panels will be getting rhino lined along with the wheel well lips and lower body panels all around. The rest will get body color paint. If I have time this weekend i'll finish the mounting brackets to make it more solid and sit properly as well as finish weld it. Then it will get sanded and primered before final paint. Need to get it in color as soon as possible. Don't like advertising that I have 80lbs of aluminum hanging off the front of my truck. People around here have been known to scrap bridge railings.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

OOO OOO OOo make me one LOL

Old 09-27-2011, 08:39 PM
BF Veteran

Sounds like a good plan. The rhino lining on the bottom & around the truck is a good idea & should look sharp!
I know about what people will do for "scrap" aluminum etc. The company I work for makes signal equiptment for the railroads. A year ago or so we had a signal bridge come back to us, one look & I said OMG WTF happened?
Turns out after I shipped it to Ontario the railroad loaded it up on a train car with a crane car in tow & brought it out to a very remote location with the intentions to erect it 2 weeks later.
Two weeks comes along & the crews go out to find it canibalized!
You could see 4x4 tracks along side the train tracks & aluminum shavings all over the place. Some people used chainsaws to cut it apart & truck about 30% of it away!

Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

great job man!!!

Old 09-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks. I hope to get the exterior welded up this friday. If anyone has any ideas for more custom aluminum stuff let me know.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Beginning Member
slaughterbaby is on a distinguished road

you should figure out a price and shipping costs and send me one hahah. I wont even need bull bars

Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Beginning Member

Shipping anywhere is going to be the issue.. It will prob weight close to 100 lbs when i'm done. I figure I can sell one for between 5 and 600. It realy is a lot of work to build one. I figure a little more than 10 hrs of work and 20 feet of 3/8 by 5 aluminum. Just material cost is not cheap. Plus I would have to pay my boss for useing the shop. They havnt charged me anything for mine other than mats, but I told them If I build any to sell I'll obviously pay them.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:52 PM
BF Veteran

Custom Aluminum hey? Hmmm a custom aluminum rear tire carrier? - save a bit of weight & room inside.
I get aluminum walkway grip for the railroads, I want to split the 10" wide length of 4' so it's 5" wide & make running boards. Maybe even 3" wide & get em powder coated matte black or sandex black (has a texture).
A light bar for the cargo carrier on the roof?
A light cargo area pan so things don't spill on the carpet? You can drag it out a bit for access & or make it on sliders that clip or retain to the steel cargo loops we have in the rear so it doesn't tip. They have them for 1/2 tons for the beds.
Fashion up some aluminum "tow truck in a box" foldable traction mats.
A roof cargo carrier rack/box that'll hold more things when you head out on excursions or camping etc.
A step you hang over a rear wheel so you're 'uplifted' for access to the roof rack that folds up for storage.

Can you tell I've worked in manufacturing for 19 years or so?!
Welder/fitter, student instructor in welding, quality assurance, safety board, R&D & a whole lot more

Originally Posted by blademasterii
Shipping anywhere is going to be the issue.. It will prob weight close to 100 lbs when i'm done. I figure I can sell one for between 5 and 600. It realy is a lot of work to build one. I figure a little more than 10 hrs of work and 20 feet of 3/8 by 5 aluminum. Just material cost is not cheap. Plus I would have to pay my boss for useing the shop. They havnt charged me anything for mine other than mats, but I told them If I build any to sell I'll obviously pay them.
Not sure where you work but they obviously ship things. A carrier the company uses will give you a good deal on freight, especially if shipped within the continental USA.
If not call Corey at Echo Logistics 1-312-604-5519 & ask for Corey in Texas. Tell Corey Tom from Custom Steel in Winnipeg referred you.
I haven't made any shipments with them yet but I DO know Echo does a couple thousand shipments a week & they are very good at the cost of a LTL (Less then Truck Load) freight.
My guess is if it's shipped within the USA & 100lbs, about 72" L x say 20" W x 24" H = around $200 or less for a 4 day delivery. Depends on locations of pick up & delivery too.

<edit> point in hand - I've been dealing with a company here in Manitoba (that's above ND for the borderly challenged folk lol) for 4 years or so. They quoted me $2000 for a dedicated 53' trailer to Ohio. Dedicated meaning no LTL freight, just what I put in that trailer - Period! It's for the US DND & we are very **** about it getting there as we ship it. So if I put 20' of cargo in there or 53' of cargo it's the same rate.
They lose $ by no LTL because the more they have going to close to the same area the more they make.
Corey & I spoke & I told him about this shipment - he came back with a quote only $100 more than the carrier I use now & have used for 4 years. That's competitive!

Last edited by TripleBlackBlazer; 09-28-2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts-Please use the 'Edit' feature to add more info to your last post if no one has replied

Quick Reply: My custom aluminum front bumper.