Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

my K5's evolution

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Beginning Member
Swamprat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default my K5's evolution

I took the 2 vehicles i enjoy the most and merged them into 1 capable off road rig that will now go damn near anywhere i aim it...
I Love the old ****** jeeps but they just aint stout enough for what I wanted and I Love the K5 Blazer but it was Too bulky to fit in really tight spots... soo... i just combined the 2.. by using the body off my ****** i had for parts and using everything els from my K5..

My blazer when i first bought it a loooooooooonnnnng time ago...

Then soon after i got it I jacked it up 10" with 38" TSL's and it stayed like this for many years

My '53 ****** CJ-3B high hood.

CJ-3B on K5 Chasis

then stretching the body 34", the hood 9" and chopping the frame off all the way to the leaf springs i was able to make it fit.. as u can see i used all components of the K5.. steering column ,pedals, seats,4x4 shifter.. except now it has no more computer crap...

I removed everything involving gasoline which included my TBI system, tank , lines, and everything els under the hood that became useless at that time... I run straight propane now... I DID keep the throttle body and installed a simple 1 wire HEI distributor... i just modified the throttle body with a restrictor plate that i made to just direct the propane to the butterflys and nowhere els...

here is the "Impco 425 tophat that creates the air/fuel mixture .. like a carb for propane

the converter (left) and this is the check valve (right) ... the coverter circulates the hot water through it to convert the LPG into a gas form... takes it from "high pressure" to "low pressure"..

then began the details

then the end result

now all i lack to completeion is 1 ton chevy axles .. shackle flip in rear.. hydro steering and a winch...
I did jump ALOT of documentation to try to keep this as brief as possible.. also... i do have a Painless wiring system for an '88 K5 TBI system WITH computer if anyone is interested...

Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 PM
jbw23 is on a distinguished road

That's bad *** I wish I had a k5 but I just got a 97 blazer