Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My small 96 Blazer build

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Starting Member
bearcat91 is on a distinguished road

New here...you linked a build on this forum on S10 forum so i joined haha...any ways i love your blazer!!!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gitch93
sounds good i pmd u anyway so u can add me to facebook and we can talk
Sorry Gitch no Facebook for me! I don't do any social media unless you count automotive and gun forums as social media. I pm'd you about Gchat though.

Originally Posted by bearcat91
New here...you linked a build on this forum on S10 forum so i joined haha...any ways i love your blazer!!!
Well welcome to the forum! As you can see I spend way more time posting here than s10forum. I just like the people and atmosphere on this forum much better! We have a pretty good crowd here and I think you will enjoy it.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:04 PM
DiffBuster is on a distinguished road

How many inches of lift does that Performance Accessories provide? Was it a 2"?

Last edited by DiffBuster; 08-28-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Yeah it's a 2"

Old 08-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Starting Member
WalkGood is on a distinguished road

Nice job on the drain plug and cover. Wish drain plugs were factory items. Doesn't take much to have a drilled n tapped hole on the differential bottom with a plug just like the filler plug. Or a drain plug on the cover.

For those who do not have welders you can add a threaded bushing type drain plug, either in the cover or in the iron differential pumpkin.

This type goes on a thin pan (i.e. tranny pan) or differential cover, between the silver-color two hex parts.

This type can be used on the thick walled differential - hole is drilled & tapped.

Bonus is the plug is magnetic, and will grab any metal debris.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by rexmburns
I decided I didn't want to do any actual work today but rather play with the Blazer and needed something that would give me some joy after the headache the headliner has been. I had the stuff necessary to build a drawer for the false floor in the back so that's what I did!
Here are the glides all mounted up. They lock closed as well so the drawer won't be slamming open and closed.

You can also see that I mounted the glides so the weight will be resting on the floor and not cause stress on the mounting points when loaded up.

Here's the drawer with a nice recessed handle so it won't get smashed off (you will see what I'm talking about later)

and mounted in the frame

Here it is in the truck.

You can see that I mounted it deep in the frame to intentionally leave plenty of space in front of the drawer for other things like my heavy a** 3/4 drive socket set (also the reason for the recessed handle!).

Are those 22" drawer glides? Where did you find "self locking" glides?

Last edited by DiffBuster; 08-28-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:37 PM

Hey Rex, this is a helluva rig you have created. I finally got to read it all the way through. What a profound amount of inspiration you have provided! Thanks for all of the info and ideas. I finally got the front diff back in mine and got her back on the ground. I am sure I will be hitting you up with some questions once I get a chance to get started doing some mods. Love the Monstaliner and that is where I am going to start. Thanks again. Keep the write ups coming Bro.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WalkGood
Nice job on the drain plug and cover. Wish drain plugs were factory items. Doesn't take much to have a drilled n tapped hole on the differential bottom with a plug just like the filler plug. Or a drain plug on the cover.

For those who do not have welders you can add a threaded bushing type drain plug, either in the cover or in the iron differential pumpkin.

This type goes on a thin pan (i.e. tranny pan) or differential cover, between the silver-color two hex parts.

This type can be used on the thick walled differential - hole is drilled & tapped.

Bonus is the plug is magnetic, and will grab any metal debris.
I thought about going the "drill and bolt in" style but plan to make a diff protector in the near future and the bolt in style will interfear with the internal moving parts if placed in the center. Or at least it visually appeared that it would. The bolt on style would have to be more towards the right of the cover and my protector design has a piece of steel going right there so it wouldn't work for my personal setup but would work for most. And my cover came with the magnet so i'm covered there

Originally Posted by DiffBuster
Are those 22" drawer glides? Where did you find "self locking" glides?
They have about 19-20" of travel. I work for a high end furniture store doing all of the warranty repairs on furniture so I had a few glides laying around from a past job I did.

Originally Posted by DiffBuster
Hey Rex, this is a helluva rig you have created. I finally got to read it all the way through. What a profound amount of inspiration you have provided! Thanks for all of the info and ideas. I finally got the front diff back in mine and got her back on the ground. I am sure I will be hitting you up with some questions once I get a chance to get started doing some mods. Love the Monstaliner and that is where I am going to start. Thanks again. Keep the write ups coming Bro.
Glad to hear you got it back n the ground and glad I could provide some inspiration to you! Feel free to ask away anytime. And I promise you won't regret the monstaliner either.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Crackers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Yeah there are other ways of going about it but this seemed to be the quickest and cheapest way I could think of at the time and I haven't had a single issue with it yet!
I'm definitely not knocking it. Back when I was still working on circle track cars we would get stuck on something at 3-4am when the car had to be in the trailer and on the road before any parts stores were even open and we would have to find a way to "git-er-done" so to speak. Fortunately/unfortunately our workarounds were solid and functional though lacking in esthetic appeal. If it worked it would get pushed to the back burner until we were caught up. (ie the end of the season, lol)

The important thing is keeping it safe and functional.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Beginning Member
suicidal is on a distinguished road

I just read through your entire build thread. Great project. I recently picked up a 99 that i'm going to start modding soon.

Quick Reply: My small 96 Blazer build