Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

my ZR2 build

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Starting Member
xillzxnickx is an unknown quantity at this point

I love carnage lol never seen a crank snap had to sound great

I love the front bumper so much, your giving me courage to rig one up.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Starting Member
swells87 is on a distinguished road

thanks, I am quite partial to the bumper as well, I think it came together great for not really being planned. Nice thing is that I kept all the templates I made for it, so I could reproduce it fairly easily.

And yes, it was quite noise, the part that amazes me is that it started again after it had blown, I had to move it from in front of the trailer that I was towing at the time in order to hook a different truck up to it. Some how that thing fired up again and was able to pull the truck forward 20ft.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Starting Member
xillzxnickx is an unknown quantity at this point

Chevy strong lmao

Smart move on saving the templates I'm sure people would be interested ... I would be interested but I have a plow on the front and it wouldn't work

Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Crackers is on a distinguished road

I've never had a crank break on anything I've ever worked on, but our motor sponsor had an impressive collection of broken cranks/rods/blocks/pistons etc.

This was all before camera phones or I'm sure I'd have pictures of it. lol

Removing motor mounts to drop the motor is fairly common in most shops, it's just one of those things that's routine enough you don't think about it.

If you still have the motor out you might consider "massaging" the firewall back with some high velocity steel mass to make some room and save you time next time you have to split the bell housing from the block. If I had the time I'd pull back the carpet and cut that flange off and seam weld it.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Starting Member

Well I got the motor in and running, I can drive my truck again, YAY!!!!!!!!!

Only thing I have noticed so far is that my low beams would not come on last night. High beams were fine, and it seemed like the rest of the auto headlight system was working fine, dash lights and everything came on. Than this morning I went out and started it and the passenger side low beam came on but it took it a minute. Still no drivers side low beam though. Every thing is hooked up and plugged in as far as I can tell, so I am not really sure yet what is going on.

Any body have any ideas?

Old 12-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Starting Member

Figured out the headlight issue, not sure why neither one would come on last night, but for some reason the drivers side low beam bulb was not making good contact any more, it wasn't burnt out, but a new bulb seems to have fixed the issue.

I would like to do the quad beam mod tho, and I am struggling to find exactly how to do it to a zr2. Can somebody guide me along a bit. Do I just need to ground out the yellow wire or?

Old 12-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Vader is on a distinguished road

I like that bumper. Pretty neat design. Is it steel or aluminum? I didnt see it mentioned but maybe I missed it.

Poor luck on the crankshaft. Im wondering what they would have had to have done to snap that!

Old 12-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Beginning Member
96blazer4x4LT is on a distinguished road

looks good

Old 12-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Starting Member

Thanks guys, the bumper is steal. All the supporting structure for it is 1/4" angle iron, and the top and front is 3/16" plate. All said and done I think it weighs somewhere around 70 pounds or so.

As far as the crank goes my only thoughts are that it possibly had a really small defect from manufacturing and it finally gave out, but to be honest I have no idea.

I also just did the quad beam mod, and man that was the easiest mod I have done to this thing, I like it as well.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Starting Member

Well the blazer is getting a couple of late christmas presents. I just ordered
this this
to put in my spot lights, and
this this
to protect the connections, along with
this this
and
this this
to keep things neat and tidy.