Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

New Stock Bumper Mod - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

The only thing I've done on my Blazer where my girlfriend was able to help (everything else was a 1 person job) was getting the grille off without scratching the bumper all to ****... which happened anyway.

So she's always teasing me saying I love my truck more than her lol... at least she can't toss out an entire Blazer.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:46 AM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

She helped by holding stuff while I was underneath so I could mark drill points. She also held onto stuff so I could cut it up. It is a huge PITA to cut a weird shaped bumper with a hacksaw! I ended up getting Dremel cutting wheels and chucking them into my corded drill. (<<< I don't recommend that unless you are VERY patient, the speed difference between a Dremel and a drill makes a BIG difference when trying to cut, I basically was grinding the cut more than cutting it!)

Old 06-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Beginning Member
baronthered is on a distinguished road

If you ever replace that Smitty built try finding some sched 80 pipe and some diamond plate. I make my own bumoers much cheaper that I can but them they look something like these when done. I borrowed the design from a guy on another forum devoted to welding/fab and have had great luck with it. I hit a deer one morning and never scratched the paint on the bumper or my Blazer. Anyway your bumper looks good. Nice repair you are making.

Attached Thumbnails New Stock Bumper Mod - Suggestions?-bumper1.jpg  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:08 PM

That looks good, similar to the Dodge trucks at the ranch. I wonder if it would be too heavy for an S10 though...

Old 06-25-2009, 04:06 PM
Beginning Member
baronthered is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by amazinnblazin
That looks good, similar to the Dodge trucks at the ranch. I wonder if it would be too heavy for an S10 though...

It prolly would. I'm trying to get some material for my wife's blazer together for one. I'd sy the diamond plate will be Aluminum and the side pipe will be sched 40 or so. Probably smaller diameter so the weeight won't be as bad if I go with 80. The biggest thing is to keep the bumper further away than the ones that most buy. steel will give and I'd much rather have it look a little odd than have to pay the prices that are wanted for body work and materials. That's just my ideas on it.

Back on topic that looks like a good repair all round. I'm looking forward to the final product.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Beginning Member
mpaczosa23 is an unknown quantity at this point

man that looks great i wanted to do the same to my blazer because my bro works at a jeep fab place here in nebraska (Rockhard 4x4) and makes a bumper like your and i couldn't figure out how to make it look right and you nailed it man just awesome

marcus in nebraska

Old 06-25-2009, 11:23 PM

Thanks, I looked everywhere to find a rock crawler bumper that would fit, has custom mounting to frame rail. It is 120 wall steel tube and 1/8 in steel plate powder coated. The mounts are 1/2 in steel.