Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project: Ripcord

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:05 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Good Good! i'll shoot him a PM tonight. I'll Also shoot some of the requested shots

Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

You better. I might have to excersize my new mod powers if not LOL. (kidding !)

Old 11-03-2009, 09:50 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sisk
And I have to comment on the following:

Install Splash guards (front and rear) (1) - In all seriousness...one word. WHY!? lol

Mount Roof Basket with Auxiliary Rear Lights (2)- Can't wait for this one. It will change the look of your truck completely.

Build Custom Brakets for, and mount Brush Guard with 6" Trail lights - Do you already have said brush guard? if so...pics!!

Fabricate and mount custom Skid Plate (3) - What do you plan on using for this? I'd like to have one too, so pics of how you do this is a must

Can't wait to see this one come along. Keep us updated.
Originally Posted by ABN31B
LOL (4) I didn't realize anyone actually noticed my sig changes! That was mostly for me while my ride was eating my pay check before I even earned it.

I have a 300-style Spartan Shield sized (5) slab of 3/16" thick aluminum (1.6-ish mm for you metric folk). The "composite" skid plate that is one my vehicle (read as: BS plastic piece) is pathetic and would probably have trouble standing up to a Black Lab, let alone off-roading. The older aluminum ones from the blaZeR2's wont fit due to width, so.......................
(1) 'cause some of us like dirty truck, just not all the time. i was actually thinking about starting a thread on where to get big enough ones for these 2nd gen's, but thought twice about it (the thread, not the MF's).

(2) yeah, my thoughts exactly. problem i'd have with a basket is, i actually throw s**t on my RR's and the basket sides would be a problem for the large items (like that toolbox i got last week).

(3) X2 on the pic's.

(4) i was wondering what you were on, then i remembered you affliction for the 40mm rounds

(5) ummmm, i've heard that you guys in the State's can't spell (), but since when can't you do simple math? 3/16" is 4.76mm, a far cry from 1.6-ish.
i can understand you wanting to protect the oil filter and lines (gotta protect the vitals), but why not save yourself a s**tload of work, and just get one of the regular aluminum skid pl8's? then you can concentrate your massive fab skil................sorry, i couldn't finish that without LingMFAO. as i was saying, your fab skills on something for the filter 'n lines.

You better. I might have to excersize my new mod powers if not LOL. (kidding !)
i was wondering how long it would take-did i just say that out loud?!? stupid brain!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:59 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
(1) 'cause some of us like dirty truck, just not all the time. i was actually thinking about starting a thread on where to get big enough ones for these 2nd gen's, but thought twice about it (the thread, not the MF's).
lol...I suppose. I didn't think people actually liked the mud flaps though. But then again my truck is a mud *****...the more the better lol. I took a set off my truck when I bought it. They don't look all that great either IMO.

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
i was wondering how long it would take-did i just say that out loud?!? stupid brain!
hahaha watch yourself Chris. I might be after you next. LOL . I couldn't resist.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 PM
BF Veteran

As for mud flaps, those are for 8" lifter 70's Blazers with boggers
I have splash guards to stick on, the little plastic jobbers that poke out a little and deflect crud on the daily, but dont slow down rooster tails of mud when needed

as for my metric conversion, i was going off what someone said in my "how the hell do you cut aluminum thread". As for my massive fab skills, might i refer you back to the fact that i made a how the hell do you cut aluminum thread....

As for buying one.... C'mon old skool luvr.... i went a damn year before i paid to have my 4WD fixed, and thats only after I FAILED multiple times on my own. I am the sole provider for a family of 4, my youngest daughter is special needs to the point where i have a nurse 8 hrs a day 5 days a week (medically she is the only one of her EVER....) and I work for the Army. I get paid (well when I'm deployed even) but it's not much when you consider paying for all the crap she needs, the new house, the wife's exploder and the 9 gazillion other things that eat my money. So thats why I'm going to saw my finger off to make my own skid plate

well it's time to defend my honor. I'm in the garage with a camera give me a few and I'll build some work log albums for the various projects and get pics rolling ....

Old 11-03-2009, 10:36 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

lol...I suppose. I didn't think people actually liked the mud flaps though. But then again my truck is a mud *****...the more the better lol. I took a set off my truck when I bought it. They don't look all that great either IMO.

hahaha watch yourself Chris. I might be after you next. LOL . I couldn't resist.
so is mine. i usually let Mother nature wash her-unless were going out, and need a clean truck (for appearance sake, you know).
i was wondering what the factory ones looked like. i haven't really noticed any on the trucks i've seen, but haven't been looking too hard.

i was gonna go with the WRC style 'cause i want something that is really flexable-i back through snow as fast as i drive through it! but, i got a lot of grief for the "apron" i had on the back of my '92. it was an old piece of conveyor belt from one of the machine's @ my Dad's work. it was the perfect width, tucked right up to the frame, it just cleared the ground by an inch, and ran from just inside the rear quarter's, left to right. kept the back of the truck really clean, and was great for spraying anybody that tried to sit on my rear coners during the rain/wet weather (it would shot straight out the sides like it was pressurized!).

i don't need to duck Alex. as i told Curtis before, i move quick.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:50 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABN31B
I have a quick, totally off topic question.

On those headlights, the low beam is the purple ball, and the high beam is the one with the Halo, correct?

I wonder because I will be getting these next year. Minus those signals.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:03 AM
BF Veteran

The purple ball is actually a clear bubble-like fish eye, and yes they are the lows. the halos are the high beams. i dispise these lights and have actually managed to break the adjuster on top of the d side so I will be getting a set of stockers and hooking them up in the future. or possibly finding a replacement if i knew wtf brand they were. either way, they are not that great. maybe if i quad beam them, but other wise ... meh.

BTW not off topic. it's about my truck

Old 11-04-2009, 12:35 AM
BF Veteran

Some work log albums have been built. *edit* and since taken down
I even got some of the stuff you wanted to see Sisk

As for the build I am working on now, my skid plate, here we go:

So I am working with a large slab of 3/16" thick aluminum. I would prefer diamond plate, but even 1/8" DP is heavy as hell compared to the aluminum. Since the worst it should see is a snow bank, local pet, or brush, I think this should hold up.

After relaying my inability to even think on my own, let alone fabricate, the BF community came forward and said this would be a good way of slashing up the aluminum to better sever the flimsy tendons in my hand.

BONUS: These crappy Chinese power tools come with a sweet 30 day warranty. Since cutting Aluminum creates sawdust that is highly conductive, it tends to smoke power tools, which is why a plasma cutter or air cutter is usually preferable. But with HFT only a mile away, I think my $20 investment should be safe for 30 days

This is the area I plan to work within.

Just under the bumper angled down where the valance would be and tappering back at the angle of the composite skid plate that GM stuffed under there. I hope to drop that OEM one, trace it onto cardboard, and use that to build a fit template. From there i will cut the outer shape and either make relief cuts with a dremel for the folds, or clamp it down and beat a 2x4 with a 4 lb sledge to get the bends i need. We shall see.

Alex, this is so you can see the undercoated bumper. better shots will follow, but it was dark so I hope this works...

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-25-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran

You know I was about to come on today and razz you for not proving yourself, but you ended up proving me wrong lol . I took a look through the albums you put up. looks like this is going to be a great project. Now I get to sit back and watch you do all the work, and stare in awe at the results

BTW - Nice plate

Quick Reply: Project: Ripcord