Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project: Ripcord

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:48 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABN31B
Alex: Gorge yourself on the carcass of this img...

That should buy me a little time...
that is a powder coated 5 ton capacity recovery hook plugged into my tow hitch. It is more for dragging my dead truck to a shop as opposed to yanking out of a mud pit for now... We shall see if it gets some intended use later this winter...
or removing your hitch, 'cause that sure as hell ain't gonna break!

Originally Posted by Sisk
Nice. I never noticed your plate had a purple heart on it before. They do special plates down there for medals you've earned? That's really cool. We only have the standard Vet plate up here.
and only the Vet's or their spouse can get them. i tried getting one since both my Grandfathers were in WWII (one was even in WWI), but MTO said no go.

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
yeah, i wanna see pic's too!
sorry about that post Curtis, i had opened this thread for a bit before i posted. so you're off the hook for putting up some pic's for awhile, that should give ya a week to think of another excuse for not having any.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:33 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Must be different for the Vet plates down here. Any Family member can get them. A buddy of mine and his brother got one for both their parents (both are in the military). They got them for them for xmas or birthday presents.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:42 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

WTF?! really. you have to be a vet or spouse to get any vet's plates.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:23 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABN31B
WTF?! really. you have to be a vet or spouse to get any vet's plates.
apparently so in Ontario, unless they've changed tht recently. i tried when they were first brought out, like 5 years ago i think.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:37 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Yeah, typical Ontario.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by Sisk
Yeah, typical Ontario.
hey, i'm more than willing to send McGuinty over to you guys............

Old 11-23-2009, 01:27 AM
BF Veteran

Ok so I will get BOO'd down for the lack of pictures but i left my stupid cord somewhere again....
The skid plate is done. It's cut, bent, and I even edged it with fuel line and sealed it with caulk to ensure the edges of the aluminum dont rus.... crap that was a waste of time!
The access plate is fitted and sealed. All that stands in my way is the paint... i have decided that undercoating on the aluminum will not stand up when put to the intended use. i do believe that bed liner is the way to go. I come to you for opinions. Do i mix up some bedliner and line as per usual (textured feel) OR leave it settled and just paint on a thick shell of smooth liner... ? i like the idea of smooth for a cleaner look, but its bedliner? who doesn't like some rough bedliner action? I am torn! help me Canada, you're my only hope!

When this is complete i dont know which project to drag out next... putting lights on my basket and mounting it OR putting lights on my brush guard and mounting it... decisions decisions....

Old 11-23-2009, 01:42 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

I like that hammered metal finish you can get[comes in blue aswell of other colours], the stippled bedliner looks pretty cool to or you could polish it & put a hard clear coat on it to keep that alloy look.

Last edited by foxxie; 11-23-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:03 AM
BF Veteran

foxxie, between me and you, shhh... I have no clue WTF i am doing with this project. This is my first attempt at fab work. Unlike you and your sweet welding skillz, I took a sheet of aluminum, hacked at it with a sawzall, c-clamped it to a forklift, and beat the hell out of it with a 4 lb sledge. polished is the LAST thing i will be able to pull off...

as for the hammered metal finish, is that a spray paint? how well will it hold up on a skid plate? As stated before i only intend on mowing down light brush/snow/dogs with this thing, probably not going to skip off stumps and boulders with it.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

I let you in to a little secret, the welding skillz ain't that great [it's amazing what an angle grinder & a bit of bog can do to clean things up] shhh LOL
As for the hammer finish, it's a hard enamel finish that they use on machinery eg big drill presses, tool cabinets. Will hide alot of things & you can buy it in a spray can.

Last edited by foxxie; 11-23-2009 at 02:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Project: Ripcord