Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Project Sleeper Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 12:12 PM
ChuckNTruck is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Always good to see you post about this truck!
I have not done much lately with it other than drive it an enjoy the last few days of above freezing temps here haha.
Also i agree with your last post....i hate1/8 mile racing. but that is all that was available close to me this season otherwise i have to drive 3+ hours to get to another strip.
This track was trying to run 1/4 but was having some issues with their track at the top end.

I just put the Blazer away for the winter and put her up on stands to do some work underneath like welding in my driveshaft loop and looking everything over after the season.
I also picked up another 6.0 engine for cheap that im going to build properly to replace the current stock bottom end LQ9.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:55 PM

I figured while i had it up higher than the ground i would take some pictures of how my newer exhaust is ran. dual 3in pipes are hard to fit, so i had to notch one of the crossmembers and they go to a Y-pipe after the mufflers. Also, the metal band clamps are not perfect at sealing, but it allows me to quickly and easily separate the exhaust and drop it completely out of the truck in 4 pieces for maintenance.
Not great pictures, but gives a good idea of the exhaust.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:57 PM

I also finally got around to painting the roll bar and while i was at it, i padded it in the back to make it more kid friendly. haha

Thanks Les for the idea on the paint!

Old 01-27-2021, 01:16 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Looking good!

Did you reinforce the cross member when you cut it? Do you think its needed?

Love the size of those pipes tho!

Old 01-27-2021, 04:45 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ChuckNTruck
I also finally got around to painting the roll bar and while i was at it, i padded it in the back to make it more kid friendly. haha

Thanks Les for the idea on the paint!

Haha! looks a bit reminiscent of how I used to drive my kids around. When my 3 kids were adolescents I had a warmed over 350 in a Chevy Monza notchback. One kid on each side in the back and the smallest on a pillow in the center on the hump. For some reason they put seat belts for the person in the center, but no seat bottom. Crank the tunes up loud, tell the kids to hang on, and bang through the gears (4 speed)! Wasn't fast but it sure could burn the tires. My kids still talk about it as one of their memories. That and getting yelled at for using loaves of bread for armrests on the way home from the grocery, and the youngest for using my Snap-on torque wrench as a hammer.

As always, project looks good! Keep it up! Isn't that hammertone finish paint the coolest thing for painting rollbars with a brush!!! Looks so nice after it is applied!

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-27-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by DonL
Looking good!

Did you reinforce the cross member when you cut it? Do you think its needed?

Love the size of those pipes tho!
I did not add any reinforcement to it yet. I plan to box it back in when i feel like tearing it apart again, but it has not been an issue.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:35 PM

Well i tried to have the driver seat modified to fit the race belts through the headrest and i did not like how it turned out.....So i ordered some racing seats and sliders>

I drilled the rivets out that held the factory sliders to the factory bracket this way i could reuse the factory floor brackets.
Then i used some steel to make cross braces/brackets between the factor brackets and
BTW....please don't judge my welds. They are not the prettiest, but they are strong.

I then welded the racing seat sliders to those cross braces. For the drivers seat, i actually welded the sliders on upside down so the handle will be tucked further under the seat since i don't move the drivers seat often.

And the finished product for the driver side.
Its not perfect, but it works for me and fits great.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:52 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Looks good!

Old 04-03-2021, 10:03 PM

I finally got a picture of the finished product for the seats.
I also added a tilt steering column while i had it apart to make getting in and out easier.

I was able to keep the factory belts working like stock if wanted and have the 5 point on the drivers seat for racing. But i usually just use the 5 point when i drive it.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:09 PM

And now for the next phase of the build.......Forged bottom end with ARP main studs to build a proper engine to take the boost and not worry about windowing the block.

I just have to get the time to take my spare 6.0 block to the machine shop and get the machine work done.

Quick Reply: Project Sleeper Blazer