Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Purple Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:02 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Depending on how far you drop the diff, there might be clearance issues with the front driveshaft and the y pipe of the exhaust

Old 05-20-2019, 06:01 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Thanks Don. Cleburne, I think this is the same drop that comes with the rc 2.5" lift so it shouldn't interfere with the exhaust. I just need to get my CV angles back to close to factory. I did after market keys before I knew how bad they were on front end parts. With the 35s I'm worried the angle I have now will destroy the CV axles. If so that gives me more reason to solid axle it sooner lol.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:38 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

To what I see, it's the same as the 2.5 rc lift... and I got no clearance issues on the ypipe... just need to do some shaving for the grease nipple on the inner tie rod end...

Old 05-20-2019, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the info Don. I'm going to order it after i take care of some issues with the wifes charger and a few fixes on her Tahoe. The next few upgrades on the Jimmy are goiing have to be ones i can do for no $ lol. I'll be swapping the 2" body lift for a 3" moving the rear axle back and working on a roof basket and nerf bars/sliders. I still need to finish the front bumper and build a rear bumper.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:17 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Hess13x
Thanks Don. Cleburne, I think this is the same drop that comes with the rc 2.5" lift so it shouldn't interfere with the exhaust.
Originally Posted by DonL
To what I see, it's the same as the 2.5 rc lift... and I got no clearance issues on the ypipe... just need to do some shaving for the grease nipple on the inner tie rod end...
Ah, makes sense, then. Shouldn't be any issues in that case!

Old 05-28-2019, 10:26 AM

So an update on how the Jimmy is handling the 35s. I haven't moved the rear axle yet so I have some tire rub in the back when off road. It's been raining here for a week so we went and hit a local mud pit area. Other than the tire rub and the 3.42 gears it did awesome, that was until I had to hit it a little hard to get back on the road. My steering went all crazy and couldn't keep it going straight. I got out and had some massive toe in! I thought for sure I had broke a tierod. I jacked it up and no broken parts. I kicked both tires and the passenger side popped and straighten out. It looks like the idler arm is toast. We limped it home. So I will be rebuilding the front end. I knew it was time to replace parts but was trying to put it off until I get my other two vehicles back in shape. When I buy tires I'm thinking 34/10.50 or the 34/9.5 swampers.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:56 PM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

I don't know how much the bracket is going to help the CV angles. If I'm not mistaken the purpose of that bracket is to rotate the differential pinion down, it doesn't drop the whole differential, at least that's my understanding.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:50 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

it changes the angle, which in the end drops the cv axle center lower.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:38 AM

Had to take a couple pictures of this blazer next to my Jimmy.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:57 PM
BF Veteran

@Hess13x if you're replacing the idler arm anyways, consider upgrading to the 1 ton idler. You can buy the bracket to do so for a rediculously high sum of money from synergy, or, if you or a buddy have a welder, it doesn't look too hard to make

Quick Reply: Purple Jimmy