Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Re: 1989 Blazer build (2wd)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:48 AM
Jimmy-in-a-Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Cool build. Do you happen to have the original interior out of it?

Old 10-08-2018, 06:52 AM
Starting Member
jaymzz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jimmy-in-a-Jimmy
Cool build. Do you happen to have the original interior out of it?
Yes I have the complete interior that I am going to sell. It is Black and grey. The headliner was trash so threw it away but have everything else. The driver's seat has typical wear and the carpet has a hole cut in it for the shifter.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:48 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Nice work. There is more of us following.

Just the very radical transformations are out of scope for me. Sometimes I wish I had kept my second Blazer and built that for a race-truck. Unfortunately over here in Europe you cannot race that except on track days but not in competitions because there are no classes for that.

Should have done a show truck instead.

I like the idea of lowering the blazer. Once I'm ready to put my new engine into my 94 I'll also lower it as much as possible without reverting to lowering spindles. Might be an inch or so.

Once the cage is in, how do you plan on building the floor? A tubular frame and fiberglass?

Old 10-10-2018, 06:40 AM
Starting Member

There isn't a class for the Blazers at all so just going to go out and have fun. I have had my very competitive racing days and just out for fun now. I got an itch to build something different from the usual builds and this is the first of the builds. Next is a twin engine hotrod but need something to go out and romp on first so decided to do the Blazer. That and Blazers are an addiction that I have had for years.

For the floor I am planning to build an aluminum lower skid plate from the front bumper to the rear end and main floor aluminum also. That is how my formula cars are and works great. I am looking at options to relocate brake and clutch master cylinders down low on the frame to keep the firewall clean also.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:51 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Nice build, keep the pictures coming.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:09 PM
Starting Member

Sorry no updates this weekend. I helped my son with some rust repair and paint on the firewall of his Blazer and think I have it to where he can do most of the work himself for a while, so I will be able to work on mine more I hope.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:59 PM
Starting Member

Here is where I left off today. Have the body attached to the frame but still have a lot more bracing to do before that part is done but the Blazer is sitting on it's own four tires now.
I moved the engine back and it got really tight in the cockpit and not sure if there would be enough room for three pedals between the cage and transmission.

Here is the problem I am having and trying to decide how I like it. Don't mind the seat it is just for mock up and not what I will be using. Hoping to get seats for it in a couple weeks.
This is how S&W suggests the side protection to be. After many wrecks on the racetrack I might be over thinking side protection.

Here is option two

Option three

And option four. I did try a couple other options but didn't like them at all.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:01 PM
Starting Member

I don't understand why Flickr sometimes posts double pictures. Sorry I go to edit it and it only shows one but the post shows duplicates. :shrug:

Old 10-28-2018, 08:47 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I would go with option two, number one doesnt look like itll do the upper half as much, and three and four look crowded.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:02 PM
Starting Member

Here is where I left off tonight. I cut the hump out of the frame for more headroom and was able to gain a little over an inch and a half clearance. I did order my seats and waiting on the drivers seat to be built, so when I do get those I can get started on the floor. I have the next week off and plan to get a ton done on the Blazer. If the seats don't show up probably going to start on the bodywork.
Still not sure why double pictures. Editor and preview only show one and only on this forum not my other s10 forum. :shrug:
Marked and ready to start cutting.

Cut and ready to start trimming the old piece I cut off. I decided to use the original metal instead of new. It did take a lot of cleanup though.

Welded up on drivers side

Both sides welded finally. Very happy with the added headroom now.

Last edited by jaymzz; 11-03-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: dam double pictures still

Quick Reply: Re: 1989 Blazer build (2wd)