Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Re: 1989 Blazer build (2wd)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 09:02 PM
Starting Member
jaymzz is on a distinguished road

I was digging through the back of my garage trying to decide what to sell or trade and forgot my Formula vee was back there. I sold the engine today along with some other parts off of it but had to share my first custom exhaust I made many years ago. I was looking into exhausts for a mid engine vee but the prices were extremely high so thought I would give it a go. All four tubes are within a quarter of an inch and it sounded so awesome for an aircooled engine. This was my first of many formula cars and kind of miss them.

And starting to mock up the front frame. I have a lot of the pieces cut and ready to start tack welding it together but didn't get any pictures of that yet. I will post up tomorrow night with my progress there. Here is with the front crossmember where it needs to go and getting excited to see it all bolted in. I am very glad I am making my own front frame section because it is going to give me so much room in the front end. Down side is I am now wishing I would have just built a whole new frame how I wanted it but to late now. Cage is all welded in and not about to start that over.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:17 PM
Starting Member

Here is where I left off today. Ran out of steam and have some house chores to get done anyways. She is starting to come together.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:07 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Have you done much with the project since?

Old 03-11-2019, 09:13 PM
Starting Member

Didn't think there was any interest here so stopped posting. A lot has happened since my last post and way to much money spent. The run down of my last few months...
I am a bodyman by trade and been trying to figure out how to get out of the collision side of it and into the fabrication side of it. I bought a new tube bender that I can now bend anything square and round up to two inches up to 180 degrees with very little deformation. I also bought some other fab related tools and a software program that I am still trying to learn all the ins and outs of. (Bend Tech) Lots to learn as I am a hands on guy but feel all it has to offer I am up for the challenge. I have built a couple brush guards for some Subaru's and some rock sliders/frame protectors for a friend of mine for his Jeep.
When I went to pick up my tube bender blew the transmission on my daily and that financially set me back a few months on my S10. I kept doing while I am there I should do this, and while I am there I should do that. So my daily is now 400 awd whp with a hella built transmission and stall plus a lot of other goodies. hehe

What nightmares are made of!!! Ended up rebuilding my front diff, and front suspension while I was there.
And after my tune for some of my new engine mods and transmission tune.
Sounds so good with my new headers and exhaust! Just hope I don't have to pull the right header anytime soon. That was a huge pain in the ***!

New tube bender tryouts. I could only do 163 degrees because I used a scrap piece of 1 3/4 dom tubing and ran out of tube to pull through because it was a short piece.

And now onto the S10 Blazer. I have been helping out my son on his 2wd K5 Blazer while planning my Blazer. I just bought a 2002 Z06 rear end with a six speed and need to go pick it up. I was trying to decide if I wanted to use my Ford 8.8 with really deep dish wheels or go all out and use the rear end from the car I got my front end from. Well after thinking about it I will have a much better weight ratio with the transmission in the rear so decided to go that route. After using all my s10 funds on my tbss I am now starting to save again for all the metal to build a tube chassis. Been researching if I want to do tube all the way through or make a 2x3 frame and cage on top of it. I have come to terms the cage I already welded in was for learning and now time to step my game up. The S10 has been sitting collecting dust since December but still trying to get it race ready for 2020. From my measurements I think I am going to have to widen it about five inches per side for my tires to fit and be legal in the scca Cam class. I think once I get about $1900 for tube the chassis will go rather quickly and be able to start mounting some of the extras I will need to add like fuel cell, lines, etc. Since there is interest I will keep this thread updated but it will be a while until I get everything ready to start back on it so stay tuned.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:29 PM
BF Veteran

Love the work to the trailblazer. Definatly my next favorite blazer! I've been following since day 1. I'm really interested in this build, as I might never get to do one, I'm living by-curiously thru this thread lol. It always sucks when theres set backs! But if you want it bad enough, it always works out.

I always like the tubular look of the roll cages, of any metal work really. I'm also interested in how you incorporate widening it. Cut down the middle and spread it apart? Or just widen the fenders. If your good enough on fabricating(looks like you got more qualifications then needed), I would find someone that could do a custom windshield and rear glass. I think it would look better then the fenders sticking out half a foot...

Old 03-11-2019, 09:45 PM
Starting Member

Thanks love my tbss also!!!
I did actually think about widening the whole body about three inches and then the fenders and quarters about 3 inches so it would be more proportioned and also have more room inside the Blazer. I also have been thinking about sectioning the body a few inches since I an now building a tube chassis and will have all the headroom I will ever need. The problem I have though is that I have not raced in six years and really itching to get back into it so really want to get this Blazer out there and start having fun again and show people a suv can whoop ther asses.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:42 AM
BF Veteran

I hear you, suvs are extremely under rated in the race world. I've never raced a day, but always wanted to.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:16 PM
Starting Member

I have only seen one suv out racing and that was years ago. It was a slammed k5 with a big block and looked like it was struggling to keep up, but sure looked cool out there with all the other cars

Old 03-20-2019, 08:34 PM
Starting Member

Trying to keep my build thread updated so you all don't think it has been abandoned. I was supposed to pick up the Z06 rear end last weekend but had a stomach bug that was harsh so hopefully picking it up this Saturday if I can. I have been trying to sell anything and everything I have laying around from my car projects to buy the tube chassis materials and parts needed to get started back on my Blazer.
Anyone know what a full black/grey Blazer interior would go for? lol It seems everyone else has different taste in parts as me so being a little difficult selling all my LT series engines and transmission.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:59 AM
BF Veteran

Not too sure on the overall price. You looking for new or used? I got my interior door trims and heated seats for my second gen from a scrap yard for about 100-120. Dront and rear seats and all four door trims...

Quick Reply: Re: 1989 Blazer build (2wd)