Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Restoration Build of 'High and Dry'!

Old 05-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Beginning Member
WizardMaster is on a distinguished road

While I sit here twiddling my thumbs waiting for the cash to come rolling in so I can get my new transmission, and yes, it will be a TH350 w/ what I hope is between 1500 to 1800 stall. I have someone offering me a built TH350 with 3500 stall for $800 but I am told it's too much for my situation. I don't know much about combos but I think if I told them to keep the converter and I get an 1800 stall converter isn't that ok?? Do you spose they installed a heavy hitting shift kit in the trans? My future wheels will be my favorite aluminum Baja wheels ( 15" X 12") with 42's on them. I am so pleased at how level this morf sits! I've seen some pretty bad ones. Also, I want the look of this other 4 X 4 I will post a photo of if I find it. I think it's another GM product called an Isuzu LOL.... And yes, my wife owned the 99' Amigo and it had the 4.3 vortec engine.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Starting Member
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

This thing is awesome!

Old 05-04-2019, 03:29 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

I may be wrong but I think the numbers that you have found is just casting numbers for the block ... The engine numbers for my 4.3 in my morf are located on the flat pad on the front of the engine just in front of the intake manifold

Old 05-04-2019, 06:44 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by odat View Post
I may be wrong but I think the numbers that you have found is just casting numbers for the block ... The engine numbers for my 4.3 in my morf are located on the flat pad on the front of the engine just in front of the intake manifold
GREAT!! I read that it was on the rear of the engine behind the distributor!! I crawled under the vehicle and ran my hand up there but there's no place for it, especially on top of the block. Thanks! I know that it was stamped 3.4L on the rear behind the fly wheel. I will go out and check now. That makes a lot of sense now and I should be able to see that up front!. Thanks again!

Old 05-04-2019, 06:49 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Hess13x View Post
This thing is awesome!
Thank-You!!

Old 05-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Beginning Member

As I wait for someone to answer my PARTS WANTED ads for a TH350 trans, I am de-greasing parts and spray painting them black. I let my flywheel soak over night in White Vinegar ( rust remover) and then the next morning I gave it a quick wire brushing while the rust just fell right off, followed by a soaping and rinse using a plastic hand brush then a couple coats of Home Depot Rust-Oleum Professional spray paint. Now for the cross members. I de-greased the transfer case and will finish it best I can for a shot of paint. I hope the paint insulates against good heat dissipation. In that case I might shoot it white since it's a cooler color. In case some didn't know, black cars seem to absorb heat more than white cars do. I prefer to paint my gas tanks white for that reason. And yes, in Florida it matters and the pavement reflects a lot of heat.......

Old 05-15-2019, 08:45 AM
Beginning Member

Well, after putting the call out there for an TH350 with a 6" short shaft, I've been de-greasing all my bolts in Industrial Purple!!!!! I love that stuff and it's worth every bit of $10 - $20 gallon. I dilute 1:1 and that is still strong and will drink the oils from your skin if you don't rinse it off soon enough. It makes your fingers feel slippery and funny but after rinsing, they return to normal just fine. YES, it's the best de-greaser I have found to pour into an old plastic coffee creamer container and throw some bolts in and return later and just rinse them off and I blow dry with the air compressor to avoid flash rust. I will even let nasty bolts sit over night or even for a couple days and swoosh the container on occasion if I'm not in a hurry and I've found there's no rust created with this soak. A buddy told me that it's also used in solvent tanks because it's not flammable also. I will be lost if they ever discontinue it. For large items such as my cross-members, I use Engine De-greaser from the pray can but I like to use it over a plastic cat litter pan or a black plastic concrete mixing tub so I can dip a brush and keep using it without wasting it. That is how I only used two cans to clean my nasty T-case!!Also, got a call last night from a guy that is pulling his fresh built trans and selling it to me for $600. It's a stage two with 2200 stall with 2000 miles on it!!! That is the ideal target range for these trucks. And I won't be playing in the mud and destroy my investments!!! PURE SHOW!! I'll just have to lop about 3" off the tail shaft for it to fit in the transfer case. Measure twice?? Heck, I'll be measuring 50 times from every angle until I feel comfortable making that cut!!! Can't wait till next week. In the meanwhile, I'll de-grease my two cross members and paint them !!

Last edited by WizardMaster; 05-15-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:07 AM
Beginning Member

Actually, It's called INDUSTRIAL PURPLE. I took a photo of mine..... And for a mild but great hand cleaner and de-greaser at the sink in my shop, I use an old empty Windex spray bottle with about 5 oz. of Dawn original blue, and the rest of the bottle is filled with water. but you should fill with water first to avoid 'suddsing/foaming' when filling. You'll know your mix is good when it's slippery and soapy. Then just shake or flip the bottle around for a good mix. When I need to wash my hands, I just grab the bottle and spray my one hand to hold some soap, put the bottle down and wash and rinse. Very good soap!!!!

Old 05-15-2019, 12:57 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

I do the dawn mix in my shop as well, use the heck out of it, I do the old school way of mounting tires by hand - works well as a slickem for that ....