Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Sasha the Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:08 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I got my FX-Rs in the mail today.

Here they are next to a Mini H1 projector to show the size difference. The FX-Rs are a 3" lens, where as the MH1s are 2.5"

And here's an output shot. (It's only the center portion as the sides were blocked by a door frame.)

I think I'll be ordering a pair of black headlight housings to get the ball rolling on these soon.

Attached Thumbnails Sasha the Cobalt-hids009-1_zpsf2b40a12.jpg   Sasha the Cobalt-hids014_zpscc0009de.jpg   Sasha the Cobalt-hids010_zps3899dc48.jpg   Sasha the Cobalt-hids005_zpsd925cc97.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I got one side mostly done today, I'll throw up pics when I get home tonight.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:50 AM
BF Veteran

Here we go.

Here you can see it's not quite done, I still need to cut the original reflector to fit behind the shroud to hide the back of the headlight. I was just waiting to get everything all aimed and all the kinks worked out before I got to cutting that part.

I like how greenish the reflector lens looks with the hid light leaking through.(it's a little more green in person)

Here's with the parking light on, with the original white bulb. I'll need to get amber bulbs because I removed the amber lens for looks.

Here it is on the car without the lens just for an idea of how it looks on the car.

And this only took me like 6hrs of work. But I think the other side will go quicker, since I know what I need to do now.

Attached Thumbnails Sasha the Cobalt-hids013_zps31453322.jpg   Sasha the Cobalt-hids001_zps257aa7eb.jpg   Sasha the Cobalt-hids004-1_zps428c77af.jpg   Sasha the Cobalt-hids005_zpsb6f0f5b8.jpg   Sasha the Cobalt-hids006_zpsb0335995.jpg  

Sasha the Cobalt-hids007_zpsf2352352.jpg   Sasha the Cobalt-hids008-1_zps42c431fc.jpg   Sasha the Cobalt-hids015_zps3ba8ee67.jpg   Sasha the Cobalt-hids002-1_zpsfd6bada8.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 04:36 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

nice job Thor

Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

yeah..good work man.
looks like a pro job...much better then stock.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks, but definitely not a pro, seeing as the shroud fell off haha, so I get to pull the lens off one more time. This time I'm gonna bolt it to the housing, no more epoxy crap.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 AM
BF Veteran

I got the shroud back on and got most of the hard work done on the second light today.

I was aiming and testing the two together and decided to drive up the canyon a little ways to get an idea of how they look. About 10 seconds in a deer appeared around a corner about 40' in front of me and jumped out. I was doing about 35mph and had to stand on the brakes to avoid hitting the thing. Came within 1' of it and left some nice skid marks on the road (almost in my underwear too) as my car doesn't have fancy ABS. I decided that that was a good indicator to leave the canyon, as I didn't want to push my luck anymore.

Morale of the story is that 8000 lumens of controlled light is a good thing to have on a canyon road at 4 in the morning.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Thogert
I got the shroud back on and got most of the hard work done on the second light today.

I was aiming and testing the two together and decided to drive up the canyon a little ways to get an idea of how they look. About 10 seconds in a deer appeared around a corner about 40' in front of me and jumped out. I was doing about 35mph and had to stand on the brakes to avoid hitting the thing. Came within 1' of it and left some nice skid marks on the road (almost in my underwear too) as my car doesn't have fancy ABS. I decided that that was a good indicator to leave the canyon, as I didn't want to push my luck anymore.

Morale of the story is that 8000 lumens of controlled light is a good thing to have on a canyon road at 4 in the morning.
8000 luminens? 4300k bulbs put out 3100-3400 per bulb, that is the most light output of any HID.

either way, glad ya didnt hit the deer.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:46 AM
BF Veteran

4300K bulbs driven at 35W put out around 3100 - 3400 yes, but mine are being driven at 55W, which boosts output by an estimated 20%

Thanks, I'm glad I didn't either. I'd have been a little upset that I jacked up all my work on the lights.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

ahhhhhhh gotcha!! makes sense now, super clean install. Love the cutoff color on those projectors.

Quick Reply: Sasha the Cobalt