Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

Cat Pissy Air Vents

Old 01-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Starting Member
bkreaves1210 is on a distinguished road
Default Cat Pissy Air Vents

So I’ve got an 03 Blazer I just bought from some friends who have A LOT of cats. I was prepared for the smell, wiped and sprayed everything down, but didn’t think about the smell being in the air vents too. I didn’t really notice it until we got hit with a winter storm and I had the heat on full blast for a few days. Now it’s killing my head and sinuses, and kind of defeats the purpose to max out the heat and have the windows down in 20- degree weather. Is there any way I could deep clean those air vents? Hopefully without having to take everything apart?

Old 01-04-2018, 04:51 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

What I would try is spraying Febreeze into the interior air supply inlet while the fan is going. If you have manual control over the the source of air, from outside or inside, then it is pretty easy. If you don't have those controls I'm pretty sure you'll have to put the system into Max AC mode to get it to open. You'l want to cycle all of the air-delivery controls to get the Febreeze through the whole system.

You can get at the air inlet opening which is located behind the glove compartment on the right by releasing the catch the prevents the glove compartment from opening too far which will then allow it to swing down out of the way.

The inside air inlet door is circled in red. Picture found at S10Forum, http://i40.tinypic.com/2m5knro.jpg

Old 01-04-2018, 10:03 PM
Beginning Member
Tankerdave is on a distinguished road

I don't remember what it is called but they make a deodorizer to fight mildew and odors that you spray into the vents that might help also, I got it at a local parts store.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road

there is a product called 'ODOBAN'.......I bought mine at home depot......they use it in hospitals and motels.....works great for odor and disinfects......

I'm sure fabreeze will also work.......but I just don't like the smell.........if you are sensitive to smells ......you might give this odoban a try....

Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

The smell wouldn't be inside the vents unless the cats managed to pee there. Its just the heat from the vents activating the cat pee smell in the upholstery or carpet.

I once had a 4 year old Olds Ciera I bought not running for $300. Motor locked up and the owners pulled it home but managed to knock out a side window getting it into their barn. Unfortunately the cats took up residence for a few months before I bought it. I fixed the motor and took carpet/seats out and shampooed everything at home. First warm day, you couldn't stand to be in the vehicle. Took it to auto detailer and they used the enzyme pet urine cleaner. Was a LOT better, but every time it rained and the air was moist you could still smell it - for years!

IMHO your vehicle needs all the upholstery and carpet soaked down with the enzyme cleaner. It's difficult to say where they have relieved themselves. Not a trivial job. I would consult with a good auto detailer.

Good luck! I feel for ya!

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-09-2018 at 12:02 PM.