Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

Degreasing the engine

Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 AM
cwiththehad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Degreasing the engine

I have been to multiple detailing sites and they all have different opinions on cleaning the engine. Would it harm anything to degrease it and power wash it out. Obviously i would stay away from the alt. and electrical the best i can but what about the plugs.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:19 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Degreasing the engine

What i usually do if i need to give the engine a good scrub down is i go down to the local self service wash, tape off the vents to the alt, then hit it with the rinsecycle first, then the degreaser stuff they got, and then wash it down with the regular rinse again. After that off with the tape, take it home and armor all the engine accessories andmy truck isclean and shiny as a whistle.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:19 PM
FirehawkNS is an unknown quantity at this point

Curious why the ALT in the blazer has a problem with water? Have never had any troubles with pressure washing the Alt on any of my other vehicles and no mention of it being an issue on other tech sites specific for those vehicles. Hell the Alt on my Z gets hosed down everytime it rains outside since it's mounted right above the ground on the motor.

Usually I just cover up the PCM if it's under the bay and avoid the fuse box as much as possible (that is with my other vehicles).

Old 08-14-2007, 01:28 PM
bubba181x1 is an unknown quantity at this point

yoh horny, got this degreaser called purple its 5 bucks a gallon. hose motor first then put greaser on it let it set 5 minutes then hose it off. engine should be fine alternator will be fine. gets wet when it rains rite????? then leave your hood open let it dry. good to go. unless u open your window and stick the hose inside cab and turn it on. hehehe later bubba

Old 08-14-2007, 02:27 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess im paranoid with my alt. Ever since i had the last one cook on me i just want to make sure it lasts. Realistically i could just blast it and it would be fine.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:39 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I work at the Manheim Auto Auction in the wash bay for the summer (done in one more week!!!). That's all I do all day is wash cars and one of the most important areas is under the hood. We average about 45 cars per lane in a single day, times 14 lanes and you get 630 cars. All of them get their hoods raised, degreased, and pressure washed down, then dressed. And it's not your local car wash pressure washer, it's got some power behind it. The only car we don't touch under the hood is the Audi A8-they have a knack for shorting out when they get wet. Haven't had a problem with a car after washing the engine bay with this method to date. This is short term of course, over the course of time it might be a different story. I have never had any car trouble whether getting the ALT, or anything for that matter, wet. I actually took my truck to the local car wash yesterday and couldn't come close to the cleaning power I get at work so you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Beginning Member
ShaneInsane is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, you should be able to get the alt wet, with out it ****ing up, I do all the time I mean its not the best thing for it I'd assume.. But when it rains or thunderstorms, Im sure everyones altenator gets wet.. But yeah talk about degreasing the engine tht's all im doing rite about, I mean thats all I can do at this moment, because i'm on house arrest, and can't step a foot outside my house, good thing my garage is connected to the house or else I wuldn't know what to do.. lol

Old 08-21-2007, 02:37 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

I just use simple green :P Seems to get the job done.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:46 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The alt on my old Z34 got completely submerged for a good 30 seconds while working... and after it had a few days to dry out it stopped charging at 18 volts and charged better than ever!

A car wash shouldn't cause any problems...

If you're worried about it, do like RCars does and tape it off, or bring a plastic bag...

Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point

I cover all my electronics just to be safe. Alternator, fuse box, cap, all that good stuff. I just use red shop rags. They are not very good at spoaking up liquid so they repell water very well. Warm your engine, shoot degreaser and let it sit 5 minutes, rinse clean, and armor all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Degreasing the engine