Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

Degreasing the engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:27 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Degreasing the engine

isnt that armor all gonna burn on the manifold etc? 1 reason why i've never done it.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Vermilion is an unknown quantity at this point

I recomend Simple Green! Stuff is GREAT!! And it is not to hard on the enviroment. Not that I worry about it to much (it's my yard LOL J/K) And as far as the Alt gose, there really shouldn't be to much worry! The windings are insulated very well, and are in some ways expected to get wet(ie the vent holes) I work on AC/DC robotic, and CNC servo motors and we have to power washhigh voltage statorsall the time (just bake them out after). So a lower voltage going through the well insulated windings on an Alt shouldn't hurt! Only thing that this might be an issue is if you have a brake in the insulation, and that would mean it would have to get gauged pretty good. (and no ya dont need to be a good speller to be a good servo motor tech LOL)

Old 09-01-2007, 04:01 AM
00BlaZeR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

A pretty effective way is to spray simple green and let it soak for a little bit then just spray it all down with a hose. Armor All the plastic pieces in the engine bay. And it looks like new.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Vermilion is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:41 AM
MindlessCorpse is an unknown quantity at this point

i use a foaming de-greaser, and rinse after. when it's dry i spray a thin coat of WD-40 around the compartment, it makes everything look shiny and new!?!?

Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

i just do it w/ the water hose so the pressure dont blast water in everything but the last time i did it water got into my fuse and relay box and it kept humming, so i started pulling them and blowing them out and it stopped. but i only do it as little as possible

Old 04-10-2008, 02:14 AM
Starting Member
curse is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is an old thread, but this is what I am talking about.

I'm looking to not pressure wash my engine compartment, is there certian hand-held ways to do this? I got all day. Im just lookin for products/techniques.

What im thinking of do is spray degreaser starting from top, scrub, and whipe off and work my way to the bottom where i believe about 10 years of build up as gathered underneath my engine.

has any paranoid bastard like me done something like this and succeed. I know you are all pros but you have to know, i got bad luck. I like doing things hands on and try to divert from the easy way. plus it gives it a little more personal touch to it.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 AM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

best way to clean an engine is with steam.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:54 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not use pressurized steam on a modern engine. The pressure it is under is enough to force the moisture into electrical areas that water alone would not usually be able to get into and when that moisture gets into the computer system and electrical controls of today's engines - well, you get the idea. At one time steam was an option for engine cleaning, but today,I just don't think it's worth the risk.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:51 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Simple Green and a toothbrush would work well if you really want to get that involved

Quick Reply: Degreasing the engine