Detailing Discuss detailing your Blazer within.

Degreasing the engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Degreasing the engine

I just keep my engine preserved in mud!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Andyking1243 is an unknown quantity at this point

so do you have to worry about the battery plugs or any of the lectrical equipment or can i just turn on my power washer and go to town? just wann make sure bfore i screw something up

Old 10-09-2008, 11:49 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I would seal up as many electrical connections as possible.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:33 AM
JerzeyLegend is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: TripleBlackBlazer

I work at the Manheim Auto Auction in the wash bay for the summer (done in one more week!!!). That's all I do all day is wash cars and one of the most important areas is under the hood. We average about 45 cars per lane in a single day, times 14 lanes and you get 630 cars. All of them get their hoods raised, degreased, and pressure washed down, then dressed. And it's not your local car wash pressure washer, it's got some power behind it. The only car we don't touch under the hood is the Audi A8-they have a knack for shorting out when they get wet. Haven't had a problem with a car after washing the engine bay with this method to date. This is short term of course, over the course of time it might be a different story. I have never had any car trouble whether getting the ALT, or anything for that matter, wet. I actually took my truck to the local car wash yesterday and couldn't come close to the cleaning power I get at work so you shouldn't have any problems.
LOL! DO you live in PA? I worked at Manhiem Auto Auction as well. I worked in the wet bay. The pressure washer there is 28-32 hundred PSI. The alts usually lasted the pressure. I have never washed a car the same after working there. I use the same method they do when I clean my blazer.

Here's what I do. I go to a DIY car wash. Rinse the motor down. Switch to the degreaser which I think is Simple Green. (They should use Castrol Super Clean). Then I let it soak for about 2 mins, then I pull out my mitt and start wiping down what I can. Then I rinse. Since the pressure is so high, I keep it at a distance. I put the hose at the top of the hood, and arch it down, and just blast it all off. What I don't do at the car wash I finish off at home. A toothbrush and some castrol super clean works wonders. Just avoid getting close with the hose, if you must do so, do it in burst. Also try to put the hose up in the bay, and get that firewall, it gets so dirty. Don't take to long to do so, and you should be ok. Most manafacturers take into account that water will hit components from the floor, and one day you might have to open your hood in the rain.

If you don't have a self serve car wash, a high pressure hose attachment at home is THE BEST! I have washed ALOT of engines, and getting water in places it didn't belong was never a problem for me.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:22 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

Any engine can survive full submersion provided the intake and exhaust are above water and the fusepanel and computers are kept dry.

Sorry to necropost but thats something for those unsure to keep in mind.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Beginning Member
mod8521 is on a distinguished road

A can of degreaser and some quarters. I always leave my truck running. Old mechanic taught me that said if you motors dies start at the last thing you blasted with the hose! never had a problem.