Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Electric Fan replacment

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:55 AM
Beginning Member
toxikchevy is on a distinguished road
Default Electric Fan replacment

Well everybody knows that an electric fan is more efficient in multiple ways. I'm just wondering how it would effect me in the wallet. The extra hp is very enticing but what am i looking at as for switching things out. like the pulleys for the current fan and such. i would really like to put one in but i am only so good at installing things. If i could get an idea what i would be getting my self into that would be great!!

Thanks all

Old 01-26-2010, 05:24 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

It's easy to do and not that hard, I've done it before on a couple of other vehicles. On my last truck (1982 F150 4x4 351W) I rebuilt the radiator ditched the cluth fan and shroud only to have the fan go out on me when up in the hills. Took a long time to get back down. I've replaced the fan since plus redid the wiring with no issues. It does help for a faster warm up but I really didn't notice any gains at least not on that rig.

Another friend of mine switched to an electric fans on his. He drives a 89 Blazer 4.3 Tahoe, he has like four fans set up on his. Two for pushing and two for pulling. He said initially he did notice an improvement with power.

Myself I'm sticking to the fan clutch and shroud, whatever drag it may cause doesn't bother me to much I've got plenty of power (89 Blazer 4.3 bored .60 over) besides I like not having to worry about it. Keep in mind that a clutch fan is more efficient than a straight fan bolted to your water pump. If you do go the route of an electric fan then get one with a built in shroud. That way it would utilize the incoming air with the whole surface of the radiator and not just the width of the fan.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:27 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The only way an electric fan is gonna be more efficient is to make a shroud for it. Don't just use the zip ties and expect the factory shroud to be the best. It will work like this but not as well.

As for freeing up noticeable HP, take that idea and throw it out the window. Simple fact is you are only removing the load directly off the engine and putting it back indirectly on it by the load on the alternator.

Personally I run them on all my trucks cause I like the extra room they clean up.

My old setup was a single 16 inch parts store fan.

I haven't complete it yet but I will soon be running dual 11 inch fans (off of a dodge intrepid) in a custom shroud. I got the dual fan idea from v8 s10 and sy/ty guys.