Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Hesitation when starting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 01:15 PM
black19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hesitation when starting?

Whenver I start my car it seems it takes a just a little longer than it should to start. In the morning when the engine is cold, it starts right up soon as I turn the key. Other times after that it seems to take a little longer than what I would call 'normal' to turn over. Is there a problem I should have looked into or is this normal?

Old 02-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Hesitation when starting?

How much longer are we talking here... Another second or two of cranking? Is it consistently longer cranking only when up to temp?

Old 02-14-2006, 03:58 PM

Well when it's cold, it turns right over almost before I turn the key all the way forward. But later on I turn the key all they way forward and you can hear it turning for a good second maybe second and a half before it turns over. I would say that nine times out of 10 it does this. I'm not quite sure on the exact amount of time but I do know that it seems like a lifetime even though it may only be seconds. It really doesnt feel normal to me. For example, the very first time it happened, I turned they key like I normally would and have for any other car I have driven, and let go before it actually turned. It puzzled me because it took a lot longer to actually kick over when I retried it. I've since conditioned myself to it but I want to make sure nothing is wrong before I get stranded somewhere...

Old 02-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the engine sound different before it fires when it takes longer? Does it seem like it isn't spinning as fast?

Old 02-14-2006, 04:07 PM

Not that I'm aware of, it just sounds like it should, but it just takes a little longer. I know a couple of times (maybe like so far) there was kind of an odd tick/click sound when it was turning but thats it.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Administrator

This sounds like normal operation. If it were to get over 3 seconds, then... Well, I'd have to start looking into things.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:17 PM

Thats what I like to hear. Thanks for the help. I'll keep my ear tuned if it starts to get worse/take longer.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:13 AM
thepurlife is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have it clean off your MAF senser.If not get a fuel service pack and run it through.Ill bet she is dirty as heck.It will take care of it.My best guess.Not sure what your running in there.Hot cold issues in basics are fuel related as you stated your charge and amps are fine.The tick click I would guess is your injector(s) getting an incorrect reeding and comeing on and off real fast.Once you have air flowing past the sensor she would run fine.If you want to eliminate the problem clean the MAF sensor and do $20 fuel service clean out.Not sure what you have there for intake but I would be right at the intake flow if it was in one of my bays.If you scan it you will prob get crank sensor and TBI or code 21 and on the tree thats the MAF.But like i said you did not state your intake solution.People like you whom notice a change are usually people whom have cars run for a long time.Whats the sameri saying hmmmm take large matters lightly but small matters of great importance.
Ase Cert Mastertech Diagnostics(retired).