Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Looking to put in a new engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, 2wd so the new 700R4 that is in it will be saved for my Chevelle. I will be switching the dash over so I am going to be putting a converter box on to get a VSS signal without messing with the output housing on the truck now.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Beginning Member
drtyblnd is an unknown quantity at this point

her is some interesting info for you who have not seen it http://www.spike.com/full-episode/ls...-engines/41108

Old 01-03-2011, 11:10 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you know what Kyle, that was my bad about the swap over. i had forgotten that i had swapped the front clip (& therfore the cab) on my '78 LB to a '85 styled front end. then swapped in a TBI SB & used the wiring harness from a '91 Jimmy.

i just can't keep track of all the crap i do for myself and other sometimes.

guess i need to get that upgrade like you.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:36 PM
THAGOLDENB is on a distinguished road

Are there any advantages of TBI over carb ? Are there any other options ?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are pros & cons to both setups. Carb is easy to modify, but cannot adapt as much as a TBI setup with proper programming.

I am doing the TBI swap because I have already had the nose of my truck high enough to over flow the float bowl and flood the engine. That isn't good when you are clawing your way up a 20' slope!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:10 PM
THAGOLDENB is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
There are pros & cons to both setups. Carb is easy to modify, but cannot adapt as much as a TBI setup with proper programming.

I am doing the TBI swap because I have already had the nose of my truck high enough to over flow the float bowl and flood the engine. That isn't good when you are clawing your way up a 20' slope!
I see. Where do you live? I don't do much climbing up slopes or anything to harsh as I live in MN. I know the rings in my 400 that i have in right now are going bad.. very low oil pressure and also I'm burning a lot of oil. Would you recommend rebuilding it or investing in a newer motor TBI or carb? I am a college student at the moment so my funds are low but hope to have money to do something about the motor.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Administrator

My location is listed to the right of my name at the top of each of my posts. How I beat up my K5 doesn't really have a lot to do with where I live since there really aren't any mountains or anything close by, but I find obstacles and see if I can get through them.

As far as whether or not to rebuild your 400, that is a tough question. You can likely find a used vortec TBI motor for cheaper than rebuilding your 400 and it would likely have more power as well due to the heads. A mild cam and a ECU tune would make some good power.