Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Milkshake, oil radiator fluid mix. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:33 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Milkshake, oil radiator fluid mix. Help!

I could use some help diagnosing a problem I am having.
I finally got the engine installed into the truck and it fired right up. However when checking ym fluid levels I noticed my oil was gray in color. It got worse the longer the engine ran, plus it got fully. Needless to say we turned the engine off.

I drained the oil pan. A whole lot more then 4 quarts came out, had to empty my catch pan, and its about half full again.

I don't think my problem lies in the head gaskets, or radiator. The donor engine didn't have any anti-freeze in it, except the water passages. Plus when the engine did run, no water or smoke came out of the tailpipe. I didn't have a big white cloud typical with ablwon head gasket. So I think the head gasket in the donor engine are good.

I drove the truck into the garage before I pulled the old engine out and didn't have any anti-freeze in the old engine. So I gather the radiaotr didn't leak. Howver it has been sitting empty on top of hte truck for almost a year. We did flush it with a garden hose before installing it back into the truck, no water came out of hte oil cooler or tranny cooler lines. I don't think its possible to mix up the oil cooler lines and the radiator hoses.

That leaves me with what I did. Install the intake from the '93 onto a '85 long block. I gather I screwed it up, but would like someone to help confirm, offer tips to indicate where it might be leaking, etc. I am looking for any and all info. Educate me. Thanks.

Couple more pics.

Couple of my own thoughts.
The lower intake gaskets didn't block off the back two water jackets, note the intake doesn't have water passages in the back.
I didn't put any gasket sealer on the intake side of the gaskets. Should I have, especially around the non-blocked off water passages.
What are some signs where it leaks?

Old 08-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Milkshake, oil radiator fluid mix. Help!

Hmmm... I have always used sealer on both sides of the gasket around every water passage just to make sure that they don't leak.

I would do a compression check to make sure that there isn't a head gasket problem.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:37 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Walk me througha compression test. I haven't done one yet.
Could I do it without the intake in place?

Old 08-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would think so long as the cam and heads are still bolted down it shouldn't be a problem to do without the intake on. You'll need the starter motor to work cause a compression test really can't be done spinning it over by hand.

You'll just need a compression gauge and associated adapters to thread into the spark plug hole. Remove the plugs from all cylinders and spin the motor over atleast 2 revolutions with the gauge on each cylinder. Check the gauge and write down the reading. I don't know exactly what the compression should be, but all of the cylinders should be around 10psi of each other.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:47 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks Kyle.

I found my leak. I made it myself when I drilled out the accessory mounting bolt hole in the passengers side head. I went to deep. I didn't think I penetrated the water jacket. I filled up the water jacket with water and sure enough she leaked.

Heres a pic of the hole. The screwdriver won't go in any further. I think I will patch it with JB Weld, stuff the end of the bolt hole with it. I drilled it too deep anyways.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:01 AM
IdidNOTdoIT is an unknown quantity at this point

You've got the right idea. I did that myself once while working on an old dumb Ford 302 V8 in a 89 F150 I bought to fix up and sell, where some guys broke off a few exhaust manifold bolts in the head. I of course, had fun with the drilling-retapping-"EasyOut"ing, but on at least 2 holes I went too deep and pierced the side of the water jacket. A mix of JB Weld and the screw on top of that fixed that problem, no more leaks. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:31 AM
BF Veteran

Thanks.
I got her fixed. So far the JB Weld seems to be doing the trick. But I haven't driven teh truck yet. Still some other issues to deal with first. Like check the brakes at all four corners, drain the oil and refill, run it some, drain and refill, install the front driveshaft, check out a power stering fluid leak, put the hood back on, and put on a muffler and tail pipe.
Once all of that is done, tax, tittle, license plates, and swap the insurance over. Hopefully that will all be done by Saturday.

I got the brakes done. Fronts were fine, but had to replace the rears.