2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Vibrating at red light, rich gas mix

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Beginning Member
Syres1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vibrating at red light, rich gas mix

Ok I have a few things and maybe they are all connected to one problem, at least i hope so. I have a 95 v6 thats been sitting in the garage for 4 years without running. Drained the gas and oil. Filled it with new high test gas and new filter, new oil and filter, new spark plugs and wires, new egr valve. NOW.... it runs fine but driving on the highway i notices it looses some power, feels like im driving thru a water puddle. When i stop at a red light it vibrates very hard, rpm's stay at 700 tho. I can smell a rich mixture of gasoline and if i put anything below 93 octane in the tank it will stall on me when i stop. I dont get any check engine codes anymore. And it drives pretty good. Any suggestions? Should i just keep on driving and it will work itself out? Could my co2 sensor be bad? But that would only tell me if there is something wrong right, a bad co2 sensor wont make my fumes stink rich or will it? Please help

Old 10-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Beginning Member
Default RE: Vibrating at red light, rich gas mix

Oh yeah almost forgot, off the line all thru the first gear there is like no power rpms go high but speeds up very slow until it shoots into 2nd gear and takes off, while in 1st it kinda smokes out of the exhaust

Old 10-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start by removing and cleaning the EGR valve. Install a new gasket. One is available with an integrated screen on the inlet port of the EGR valve that will greatly reduce clogging of the valve.

After that, if a tune up had not been performed, you may want to go through the motions of doing the plugs, wires, cap, & rotor.

Are you sure there is no water in the fuel?

If you still have problems, then I would suspect a leaking FPR. A quick fuel pressure check (specifically a leak down test after you shut the pump off) will let you know the integrity of the fuel system.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Beginning Member

Well befor the vihicle stalled all the time, I did buy a brand new egr valve and gasket, you think its clogged again after 2 weeks? I put fuel system cleaner in it the first 3 tank fill ups so that should take care of any water if any. I cant smell any gas and the fuel pump works good. Should i still check the pressure? How much for that part? I am on a bit of a budget....