Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Need some help on a BBC AWD blazer swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 04:09 PM
_Syclone_ is on a distinguished road
Default Need some help on a BBC AWD blazer swap

Call me crazy, but I am not known for building the everyday run of the mill vehicle. I would like any info anyone may have on swapping in a Big block chevy in a 4x4/AWD S-10 Blazer (82-94). I am going to do this and make it work, just would like any info on anyone that may have done this or tried this already.

Any help or info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Will

sendhere@insightbb.com

Last edited by _Syclone_; 12-13-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:55 AM

Anyone? I know a BBC will fit. I can weld and fab about everything including my own custom exhaust. I have two worries that I see so far I keep reading about.
  1. The steering column
  2. The oil pan fitment around the front differential.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to do a LOT of fab work. The steering column will be a concern. You'll likely have to move the gear box to the outside of the frame rail. And the pan clearance to the front diff... Yet another issue. It will not be fun.

The best advice I can give you is to get a fab block (fiberglass mock up block that you can bolt headers, etc to to gauge clearances).

Old 12-13-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You are going to do a LOT of fab work. The steering column will be a concern. You'll likely have to move the gear box to the outside of the frame rail. And the pan clearance to the front diff... Yet another issue. It will not be fun.

The best advice I can give you is to get a fab block (fiberglass mock up block that you can bolt headers, etc to to gauge clearances).

Good idea on the block. I will go to a manual steering unit and a flaming river column. Should make things a lot easier. I have a huge lathe, cnc plasma cutter and full cnc mill to use anytime to make any brackets and parts I may need. I will even make my own sheet metal oil pan. No problem there either. Just wondering about the clearance with a big block versus LS1. I just did a LS1 in my syclone around the front diff. Not to bad actually, but the big block may be a different story.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Banned
coivabs09 is on a distinguished road
Default Need some help on a BBC AWD blazer swap

if you get a v8 you will need a tranny with it, along with a new front end susp. you could just get another v6 and mod it? plus you could save a little money.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coivabs09
if you get a v8 you will need a tranny with it, along with a new front end susp. you could just get another v6 and mod it? plus you could save a little money.
The tranny will likely only require a performance rebuild if the donor truck was equiped with a 4.3L. And the stock 4wd front suspension can be beefed up with stronger torsion bars to support even a BBC.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:53 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

ummm, guys..........the BB has a different bell housing compared to the SB/4.3's. but i'm sure that _Syclone_ already knows that.

here is a thread started a little over week ago that has all the part #'s for the t-bars including the ZR2's (which are probably the heaviest duty available).

if you're serious about this, be sure to start a "Build" thread on it, and post up your progress (& frustrations!). helped a friend drop a 454 into his '88 2WD Dime years ago, and from what i remember, it wasn't all fun 'n games.

IMO, the front suspension would be the 1st main concern (followed by the t-case surviving). if you're building the engine from scratch, i'm sure you're gonna put it on a diet, & use as much aluminum components as possible.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
ummm, guys..........the BB has a different bell housing compared to the SB/4.3's. but i'm sure that _Syclone_ already knows that.
BBC & SBC (including the 4.3L v6) bell housing bolt patterns are the same. Not sure where you read otherwise.