Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Help me build a BBC drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Revelc is on a distinguished road
Default Help me build a BBC drivetrain

I am swapping my AMC 401 for a late model carbed 454.

It was pulled from a wreck with low miles.

No it is not going in a Blazer.

It is going in my Wagoneer.

But I am sure you guys can help out with your experience.

I am putting a built T400 behind it that my local hot rod guru is building for me for free.

I'll give a little back story.

I've spent the last year in missions work and sold off my cars and purchased a raggedy Wagoneer to get me by. The original engine started knocking so I replaced it with a freshly warmed over 401 (very rare ) that I spent the last of my savings on.

It must have had some British engineering because it leaked oil all the from Colorado Springs to Texas and emptied the pan. It subsequently started piston slapping and here I am.

Either build it again with $1,200+ forged pistons and rods.
Or get a turnkey 454 for $500 from a guy that's helping me out.
I can sell my 401, my 360 I am rebuilding temporarily, and the rebuilt tranny ( that also blew 1,000 miles ago) for around $3,500-$4,500

That leaves me a little bit to play with.
I don't want a screamer. I want 500ft/lbs down low.
A Holley Truck Avenger will feed it.
I'm guessing mild dual plane Performer/Performer RPM
Hotter coil
Domed pistons?
I have any kind of head but aluminum for free.

Our local Hot Rod guru is a dear friend and is blessing me with a full tilt T400
The one he built for himself has survived 3 high compression BBC's that have either broken cranks or have destroyed themselves from pinging pulling his 14,000lb trailer. (He's hard of hearing and didn't know)
And he's building me one to the same tolerances. He's putting a tails haft from a Jeep T400 so I can retain my NP 229 t-case and drive lines for now.

I am guessing I need to upgrade axles and my front springs. (2" lift?)
Throw out suggestions. Will occasionally pull 30ft FEMA trailer someone blessed my wife and I with. It will be beating down trails and wallowing through a little mud on weekends.

All the fab work will be free.

So what would you do with a low mile 454 and $1,500
What axles would you recommend and at what ratio for 33"?

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP.

It may not be a Blazer but it will have everything but the body and a Bow-tie before its all said and done.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Not much to add as far as suggestions, but that much torque, and a transmission that can handle it is a good way to find the weak spots in your drive line! Depending on how much heavier the BBC is than the old 401, the front springs will need to be beefed up a little.

If you ever decide to ditch your old dana 44's, let me know!

It sounds like a pretty cool rig, though. big block in a raggedy wagoneer. definitely an awesome sleeper!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Revelc is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Not much to add as far as suggestions, but that much torque, and a transmission that can handle it is a good way to find the weak spots in your drive line! Depending on how much heavier the BBC is than the old 401, the front springs will need to be beefed up a little.

If you ever decide to ditch your old dana 44's, let me know!

It sounds like a pretty cool rig, though. big block in a raggedy wagoneer. definitely an awesome sleeper!
I have a Dana 44 up front that's welded and an AMC 20 rear. When I blow the 20 Ill send a message. My biggest worry is the little NP 229.

My uncle will help me throw a blower on it if I don't have enough power with the BBC and a few mods.

I can just put an all a leaf in the front 4" springs.

Does anyone have input on a few mods to make a 454 a stump puller?