Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

possible engine swaps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 06:09 PM
old 5k0ol is on a distinguished road
Default possible engine swaps?

im wondering what kind of engines will swap with a 4.3 in my 2001 gmc jimmy 4x4? im looking to get a newer engine that will get better mileage without losing much power. my question may be foolish but thats fine im no expert.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Anything will work if you put enough time and money... someone on the forum showed one with an ls1 while someone else shoved a benz diesel engine in one.... i imagine if you find a cheap chevy block/engine you have a candidate...

Old 11-06-2009, 08:38 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

your biggest hurdle is gonna be your computer in the truck. you're gonna need to have it reflashed with whatever GM engine you plan on droppping in.

personally, i've been looking @ going the same route as ebachrville did with the diesel, but i've been trying to import a truck from South America. i have a good friend that deals with importing vehicles from down South, and you wouldn't believe the BS they want you to jump through. lets just say, it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:18 AM

what i had in mind was a straight 5 they put in the colorados. supposedly v6 power with better mileage. the specs say that the colorado is heavier so if it pushes the truck itll push the lighter blazer. i have no idea like i said im a rook at this stuff. it seems that it would be ideal tho. also its amazing how much more efficient the newer engines are.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:49 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

that would be a nice swap. but are the electronic's in the Canyon/Colarado's the same as the Blazer's? i don't think so. you'll probably need to find a complete doner truck for that swap as well, and need to splice 'n dice a few things along the way.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:04 PM

well that would suck.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:56 PM
BF Guru

but that would still be a killer swap when done. tons of torque, good HP, and way better fuel mileage.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:13 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Old 11-09-2009, 09:27 PM
BF Guru

yeah, i was going the 572 route with the long box i was building, until the cost of gas went platinum.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 AM

is it something that would be worth having a shop do?

Quick Reply: possible engine swaps?