Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Starting trouble with 90 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 08:14 PM
danimalvt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting trouble with 90 Blazer

Hello everyone!
This is my first post on this forum.
Unfortunately I am not starting trouble with the Blazer but having trouble starting.
I recently purchased a 1990 Blazer 4.3 4WD standard with a plow for my driveway.
The starter went and after removing the passenger side header I was able to change it.
Now the new starter makes a loud clunk noise when I try to start the truck. The battery is new and the starter is receiving 12 volts.
I moved the truck which was a task with the plow down to try another spot on the gear.
The starter came with shims but the flyer said it was only required for Escalades and other late model vehicles.
I am hoping that the engine is not seized.
Any help/tips is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

Old 12-19-2005, 08:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Starting trouble with 90 Blazer

Every starter that I have put in came with a shim pack and a check block/rod. The check block or rod should fit between the starter shaft and the gear. If it doesn't, you need to add shims until it does. Some starters come with a block that is wider than it is tall. It serves as a go/nogo check. The narrow side should fit, and the thick side should not. Most starters aren't that precise of a fit so they just send a short rod that needs to fit.

I would add some shims and see how it goes. It can be a major pain in the butt. I know!!!

Good Luck

Old 12-20-2005, 08:17 PM
danimalvt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for responding swartlkk. I purchased the starter at Advance Autoparts and it is a Paladium. It came with a shim pack but no check block or rod. Any suggestions on how else I could check if the starter is aligned properly? Is it ok to shim it at an angle or should it only be straight? Thanks.

Old 12-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would just start with shims so the starter stays straight. If you find that you can't get it aligned properly with the shims in straight, you may have to shim it with a half shim only on one side. I wouldn't advise this though. It *shouldn't* be necessary.

Old 12-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Administrator

If you can't get it to work with one shim pack, take the starter back and have them replace it, plus give you an extra shim pack.