Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

Thinking about taking out the A/C

Old 01-14-2006, 10:52 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about taking out the A/C

Has any one taken of there A/c off there truck and does it feel better?

Old 01-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Thinking about taking out the A/C

Well, considering the A/C clutch is disabled at WOT, you really won't notice any performance differences.

Mythbusters did a test on an suv. The results were mixed. First they connected a computer to the disgnostic connection of an suv. The computer measured the air consumed by the engine and computed the fuel mileage while the Suv traveled around a test track.

Test 1 - same vehicle
With a/c on- 11.7 mpg.
Without a/c and windows open-11.3 mpg.

Test 2
They emptied the tanks of 2 identical suvs, then filled them with exactly 5 galllons of gas, and then drove around a test track at 45 mph for 7 hours until the first one ran out of gas. The suv using the a/c ran out of gas first. The suv with the windows open ran for another 15 miles before quitting.

Kind of conflicting infromation, but I would believe the 5 gallon test more and for 15 miles difference, I'd take the A/C ANY DAY!!! Not to mention that having A/C in the winter time will keep down on the amount of fog in your vehicle as the A/C system actually removes moisture from the air.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Well, considering the A/C clutch is disabled at WOT, you really won't notice any performance differences.

Mythbusters did a test on an suv. The results were mixed. First they connected a computer to the disgnostic connection of an suv. The computer measured the air consumed by the engine and computed the fuel mileage while the Suv traveled around a test track.
first of all, i love Mythbusters. They do some sweet stuff on that show, and it's all about physics, which i like. Anyway, I don't really see much of an advantage (not worthwhile for your time anyway) in taking the AC out. It will boost the resale value anyway. I personally prefer windows down, if it's not too hot out, but i use the AC in july, august, september though. It is also the best way to cool your car after it's been sitting in the sun for a long time. what does WOT mean?

Old 01-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

WOT == Wide Open Throttle

That is why I would never remove an A/C system unless it was completely inoperative and would cost more than the vehicle was worth to fix. It doesn't hinder performance much during normal use, and it doesn't at all when you are really screwing around.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:52 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, somebody paid extra to put it in there in the first place, so what's the point. If you don't wanna use it, just turn it off. Thanks for the WOT def.