Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:35 AM
clean667 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default towing

I have a 96 4.3 2dr 4/wd. I bought a camper that is 21ft dry weight is 3,498 gvwr is 4,753. does the 5000lb towing capacity just for towing or does it include any vehicle weight. I just bought a tru-cool max trans cooler to help keep it cool and to help keep it from kicking in the clutch fan and eating up the rest of my power. Wouild love any advice anyone has things they have tried, easy ways to increase horse power. Changing rear end gears, anything.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:51 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: towing

Pretty sure that is towing capacity. Should be like a total gross weight somewhere. Might be on the door sticker. or the awners manual.

Get a weight distribution hitch.

Make sure the trailer brakes work.

Keep the tranny cool. The cooler will help, plus drive in 3rd gear.

Pack enough TP, and enjoy!!!!!!!
Happy camping.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:01 AM
IdidNOTdoIT is an unknown quantity at this point

You might consider switching to a synthetic trans fluid. Synthetics tend to break down less than regular dino oils in higher heat situations, also will hold less heat. Trans cooler is a smart move. Anyone will tell you that heat kills transmissions. I use Royal Purple syn tranny oil in my rig.

Also, don't forget your engine's health. I would beef up the coolant with a cooling additive to keep your engine from running hot. Believe me, she will heat up quick if you have any hills to climb. Royal Purple makes this too, check it out. Also, I would go over the ignition system. Wouldn't hurt to replace stock wires with big beefy ones (8.5 or 8.8 mm) and putting in some hot plugs. Throw in a fuel injector cleaner thats safe for cats and o2 sensors, let that clean your fuel system up. Get a high-flow air filter and sitck that in, and you will be much better off than where you are now.

What type of brakes are on that trailer? As Hanr3 said, you are gonna need 'em!

Wish you the best of luck.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:51 AM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

yea, keep the tranny cool. don't want to replace one o them there trannies.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:01 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hanr3 is correct get a WD hitch (class III/IV) with that size trailer your short wheelbase will need all the help it can get. Make sure you have good brakes on the trailer since it is close to or heavier than the Blazer you will need them.

That GVWR is for everything Blazer with passengers/gear/equipment, trailer with all fluids and tanks filled. So you are close to the top of the scale....BE CAREFUL.

Check out some RV sites to find out how to determine GVWR.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:12 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't hurt to have some helper springs on the *** end as well.

Don't buy coil shocks. Shocks absorb the bumps in the road. The leaf springs carry the weight of the vehicle and trailer. Get the right tool for the job, in this case overload springs.

Combined gross vehicle weight is in the neighborhood of like 10,000 pounds (4,500 truck, 1000 gear/passengers, 5000 trailer. Every year is different. Look it up. Your trucks brakes are designed to stop that much weight, however you will need tons of stopping distance. Plus one long hard fast stop and you can warp rotors. Trialer brakes help tremendously.

I would also get LT tires. Light truck tires are rated to carry more load, they have stiffer sidewalls. Those stifer sidewalls will help control the load better, you wont get tire roll. Passenger tires will look like they will roll off the rim on turns, even on the striaghts with sudden jerks of the steering wheel, gives the truck a real wierd and unsafe handling carateristic.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:53 AM
clean667 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a wd hitch already. the springs sound like a good idea, def look into that. it pulls it now no prob, Just was too slow, but was a windy and was crusing along a 45mph on the highway. that camper is a good wind block [:@] . First trip down to the lake got a little hot but heater core to my unknown knowledge was going out. It was leaking a little, didn't know what it was till i reasearched it when i got back. Think it did pretty well with core takin a dump! The trailer doesn't have brakes. It has breakaway breaks. What is the royal purple you mentioned. THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP AND WORDS OF WISDOM. GOOD THING TO DO WITHOUT BUYING A NEW CAR!!