Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 01:07 PM
mikeywaynebygod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default trouble

alright, i'm having trouble removing the fan and the fan clutch. i'm trying to replace a water pump and the ****'s not coming off like it's supposed to. i've tried wd40 and that **** is still stuck on there good. oh, i forgot to mention, i have all the bolts out. figured i'd add that so i didn't sound like a 'tard.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:38 PM
jpap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: trouble

heat it up!!! A torch might melt the plastic, or you can run lots of hot water over it.... also, there is some stuff out there called penetrating bolt remover or something... ive used that before...

Old 11-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It might help to know what you are working on... From one of your other posts, I see it's a '97. Please put your vehicle information in your signature and attach it to all of your messages to aid us in helping you.

I seem to remember reading that the fan clutch is held on by a LH thread (ie. righty loosey, lefty tighty). And I would definitely try a penetrating oil before putting heat to it. There actually is a special tool that is supposed to be used to remove the fan clutch, but so long as your belt is tight and not slipping, you should be able to remove the clutch.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:29 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Take your belt off and put a small pipe wrench on your water pump pulley to hold it (put a small piece of cardboard in between the teeth of the pipe wrench and the smooth part of the pulley so you don't burr the pulley up) Use a large crescent wrench to turn the big nut on the end of the fan clutch counter clockwise (no these are not left handed threads)..once you break it loose it will spin off easily by hand exactly as it's "SUPPOSED TO"....lol

Old 11-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I couldn't remember. Was the LH thread on the reverse rotation smallblocks? Or am I just completely nuts?

Old 11-03-2006, 09:53 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I couldn't remember. Was the LH thread on the reverse rotation smallblocks? Or am I just completely nuts?
I have heard of these lefties, but personally have never run into one. Naw you're not nuts....LOL

Old 11-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

Head to Auto Zone and get the special tool. You can't get that pump out without getting the fan clutch off the pump.