Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

V8 Swap vs. 4.3 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 04:12 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
If you can find a marine V6 intake.
There's a ebay store with a bunch of brand new fully assembled ones (with injectors and fuel rails) for 500 with free shipping right now...I'm ordering one this week

Also, if you don't go over .525 lift on the cam, no headwork is required- if you run the right valve springs and retainers.(I chose to stay away from the high end of this and go with .500, just incase)

Last edited by chevyriders; 02-03-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Chance42 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
If you can find a marine V6 intake (that takes standard configuration type injectors where you can find bigger ones to support more HP) - then with an aftermarket camshaft, bigger injectors, and an expert tune for the PCM you can get maybe 250-300 hp with no other changes. Vortec heads are good, but depending on the lift of the cam may need clearancing to work with higher lift. Cam choice would be critical.
I had started looking into the marine intake, and had seen the thread on FullThrottleV6 that went through a lot of the details. I had also seen mentioned the Edelbrock 2114 conversion, which looked more expensive but was lighter; any other gotchas or pros/cons that would drive me towards one over the other?

Old 02-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Chance42 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chevyriders
There's a ebay store with a bunch of brand new fully assembled ones (with injectors and fuel rails) for 500 with free shipping right now...I'm ordering one this week

Also, if you don't go over .525 lift on the cam, no headwork is required- if you run the right valve springs and retainers.(I chose to stay away from the high end of this and go with .500, just incase)
Would you mind PMing me a link to the Ebay store you are looking at? I see a few marine intakes out there, but most of the fully assembled ones that I see say they are for 2008 and newer applications, and the two I see marketed specifically as S10 conversions are significantly more than $500 and require an EGR delete (or, I assume, I would have to do some more work to enable EGR). The extra money isn't THAT big of a deal, but still, if I go this route I'd rather pay $500 than $650/$750 , especially if I'm going to need to have some more fabrication/machine work done to get EGR working.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:04 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Chance42
I had started looking into the marine intake, and had seen the thread on FullThrottleV6 that went through a lot of the details. I had also seen mentioned the Edelbrock 2114 conversion, which looked more expensive but was lighter; any other gotchas or pros/cons that would drive me towards one over the other?
Edelbrock 2114 is a carburetor manifold. Probably someone is using it with an aftermarket FI setup sitting on top or making provisions for installing injectors and fuel rails and a throttle body of some sort. If the stock PCM will drive both injector setups, then I see little advantage or disadvantage other than aftermarket fuel injection is pretty expensive. Lower cost with the marine intake would do it for me as I can't see much performance advantage with the aftermarket manifold in a mild build.

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-06-2018 at 09:11 AM.