Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

"CLANK!" noise--getting worse!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 04:15 AM
Beginning Member
sh1520 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "CLANK!" noise--getting worse!!

Hi all---it's me again with another mystery.....
About a month ago or so I would hear a high pitched metallic clank noise whenever I would put my Blazer in drive, and hit the gas. I got worried that it was my tranny, but a friend and good wrench said it sounded like a u-joint problem. Well, it has gotten worse, to the point that I hear it when I'm turning, or even when I'm driving down my 'hood and the echo comes off a car or house. I had my friend take a look after work and he ruled out ball joint probs, but told me to grab a couple of "stabilizer bar links" and we'd replace them as a start. One was dry rotted. So I'm just wondering what other causes there may be here? Any suggestions, opinions, insults or anything would be accepted! Thanks in advance!

Old 07-29-2007, 09:24 PM
DHJ32455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: "CLANK!" noise--getting worse!!

Sounds like a U-joint problem (not to be confused with ball joint). I had the same symptoms and ended up changingmine at about 120K on my '96 Blazer. I even checked the car from underneath and could not find any play in the u-joint.But sincethe sound was classic U-joint failure,I removed the driveshaft and sure enough, the rear U-joint was seized/damaged. So - to be sure, it is only (4) bolts to remove the drive shaft from the rear axle. HOWEVER - Remember to mark the orientation of the driveshaft plate to the rear axle mounting pad with apaint pen or marker BEFORE removing it.(Sometimes these are matched in a certain orientation for optimum rotating balance.) Should only cost you about $10-15, a propane torch andsome elbow grease.

Good luck.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:36 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Agreed, sounds like a u-joint problem, especially if there is a vibration at high speeds. I had to replace mine at 132k miles.

-Lenny

Old 08-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Beginning Member
sh1520 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help guys! Yep-it was the u-joint. So-I took it to my buddy's place to get it done. He's a great wrench and has done lot's of these before. All went well getting the drive shaft off--but what a royal abortion to get the old u-joint off!!! Since it was the first time it was replaced, there was a really hard plastic inside the u-joint instead of clips that came with the new u-joint. We used a blow torch, a sawzall, a hammer, a vice to try and press it out, and finally a hand held angle grinder with a carbon blade that finally sawed through the joints. BUT......then we still had to press out where the plastic was. Well, after a LOT of heat from the blow torch, and blows from the hammer we got it done. The rest was cake, but hopefully if anyone else has to do this and reads this, all I gotta say is-DON'T GIVE UP! I almost did, but my buddy peresevered and we won! Thanks for the advice again guys!!