Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

01 Jimmy shutting down while driving "long"

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:57 AM
eastram is on a distinguished road

I appreciate your help.
I'll be working on it this weekend. Not sure if I explained properly. But you can feel the engine shut down then fire right back up while driving. It's like all the fire stopped then jumped right back on line. Weird I tell ya

Have a great trip!

Old 08-02-2016, 08:59 AM
eastram is on a distinguished road
Default Update

Well this has been interesting to say the least!

It looks like that IGN fuse "E" problem was directly related to the shut down and rough running of my our Jimmy. Or at least the short. IGN "E" powers the fuse block for the air pump system.

In trying to solve the rough running and shut down I went ahead and replaced the plugs and wires again. Serveral of the plug wires had small cracks near the boot at the spark plug and tell tell signs of arching due to the white color near the boot and first inch of the wire coming from the boot.

Also cleaned the MAF again and with those two repairs she started running much better. BUTT was still throwing a p0418 and p0300 code. I couldn't get that IGN fuse "E" short outta my head . SO i started digging on the net again and found this>

P0410 And Related Codes - Engine - Zr2USA.com

Mods> are links to other forums allowed? Sorry if not.

SO when I was changing the spark plugs and wires, I did so from the fender well. When changing the passenger side I noticed the main bundle "harness" wire going to the computer sitting on top of the chassis just above the shock. sitting on the frame right thru the slit in the plastic covering. YUP. you guessed it. I moved the harness and could plainly see where the wires had rubbed the metal to shiny new. Argh!

I finished the plugs and wires and started digging thru the harness looking for the culprit. Found two wires with the wires exposed ever so slight. They weren't broken so I taped them securely then taped the entire bundle with weather proof tape for underlayment. OF course the A/C cannister sits right above and the water soaks the harness right below where the stupid short was.

IGN fuse "E" no longer blows and the A/C is working fine so far. Haven't had p0300 or p0410, p0418 for two days now . Fingers crossed!

I did get a new code p0133 bank 1 sensor 1. Hopefully its not a wire I missed in the bundle. Gonna drop in a new sensor later today and report back.

Thanks for all the help! Great forum!

PS. IF you have new tires put on or rotated CHECK your harness on the passenger side! ya never know!