Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1988 Blazer 4x4 w/4.3 wont start question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:06 PM
nevadablazer is on a distinguished road

hi all,

i bought this project a couple days ago and was cleaning it up. the engine area needed it bad. i used engine degreaser on it and hosed it down. it started up fine. there was still some crap so i hit it again with the degreaser and hosed it off again. now it wont start. i figured i got something wet so i have been trying it on and off for the last day or so. it has been trying to, i even get a short stumble like its about to catch but then it just stops. i also pulled the air cleaner and cleaned the TBI with carb cleaner. i pulled the distributor cap and its dry and looks to be in good shape.

i would appreciate and thoughts or help that might point me in the right direction on getting it going again.

thanks!

when i went to put cap back on i heard a snap. i saw that a vac line snapped. everything seems brittle and im sure needs replaced. as i was tightening the cap down i heard another snap and saw a second vac line had snapped. i could not really see what they connected to and am wondering if its the same line that just broke at two different spots. can someone confirm this for me? any good sources on the net for diagrams and such?

this is for my 1988 blazer 4x4 4.3L

thanks!

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-30-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Starting Member
jpimp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nevadablazer
hi all,

i bought this project a couple days ago and was cleaning it up. the engine area needed it bad. i used engine degreaser on it and hosed it down. it started up fine. there was still some crap so i hit it again with the degreaser and hosed it off again. now it wont start. i figured i got something wet so i have been trying it on and off for the last day or so. it has been trying to, i even get a short stumble like its about to catch but then it just stops. i also pulled the air cleaner and cleaned the TBI with carb cleaner. i pulled the distributor cap and its dry and looks to be in good shape.

i would appreciate and thoughts or help that might point me in the right direction on getting it going again.

thanks!
Check for Spark and fuel...check the condition of a few plugs. post back.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Default 88 blazer

i will pull a few when i get a chance but im not sure what i will find. the truck ran great before i cleaned the engine area. i drove it about 60 miles to get it to my house and there were no issues so im thinking something is wet or ?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Starting Member
eugene hammock is on a distinguished road

just completed tune-up last week ran great. trip to vagas on the way back ces light came on P0301 code. no idea what is hapening changed plugs, wires, points, dist cap, rotor. ran great to vagas but set code P0301 on way back--help!

Old 03-29-2011, 02:45 PM

i will pull a few when i get a chance but im not sure what i will find. the truck ran great before i cleaned the engine area. i drove it about 60 miles to get it to my house and there were no issues so im thinking something is wet or ?

ok i pulled a bunch of electrical connections and cleaned them. they all looked pretty good though and none were wet. i tried to start it and then checked the tbi. there is fuel getting dumped into it. so not sure where to go from here. this thing ran great before i cleaned it so i cant imagine its anything serious. i just dont know enough on where to look for that simple prob.

ok it still wont kick over. battery is getting weak now so i need to put it on my charger. i was reading on the forum and someone mentioned they had a loose dizzy. i went out and checked mine and it turns by hand back and forth pretty easily. i assume this is not normal. i tried to put a socket on what i think is the bolt that holds it down but the cap gets in the way. so maybe the distributor is off? any diagram on how it should be set?

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-30-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Starting Member
jpimp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nevadablazer
ok it still wont kick over. battery is getting weak now so i need to put it on my charger. i was reading on the forum and someone mentioned they had a loose dizzy. i went out and checked mine and it turns by hand back and forth pretty easily. i assume this is not normal. i tried to put a socket on what i think is the bolt that holds it down but the cap gets in the way. so maybe the distributor is off? any diagram on how it should be set?
It should not move.
They make a special wrench for that bolt, but usually I can get on them in different ways. (stubby's, swivel sockets) I also own the tool though for when i need it, cost me 10 bux.

Also you can smell the engine oil dip stick if it smells like gas then you flooded the engine and fouled the spark plugs and that's why it won't start.

but the dizzy should not move like you figured.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

There is a little tan wire that needs unplugged then you use a timing light on a 88 it should be like 4 or 8 degrees. As for your non firing you gotta pull a plug get a spark plug tester and check for a spark. If you injectors are pouring gas in while it is not running that points to the ignition control module or a stuck injector. My full size TBI did the same.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Default tan wire

where would i locate this tan wire?

thanks!

Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The timing wire connector will be at the firewall inside the cab to the right of center just below the top edge of the carpet. It is a tan or tan with black stripe wire and will be all by itself with a simple inline connector.