Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1995 Blazer, 4 wheel drive, 4L60E trans in limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Beginning Member
johnnya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 1995 Blazer, 4 wheel drive, 4L60E trans in limp mode

I'm fairly new to this forum, so please be gentle. I've come here and found solutions to my troubles before, but I'm striking out this time,

I have a 1995 Blazer, 4 door, 4 wheel drive with 140,000 miles.
recently it went into limp mode. Nothing unusual had happened, it just showed up suddenly.
I've searched this forum, google, and youtube and have found several conditions that could be the cause, but can't narrow it down.
I've determined that when I first start the car, the transmission seems to operate normally until I stop at a traffic light or a stop sign. Afterwards it is in limp mode.
I can put the gear selector into second gear and start off, then shift to drive, but it doesn't seem to go into overdrive or the converter lock up.
I've seen references to a bad ignition switch, blown fuse and shift solenoid(s).

I've checked all the fuses in the fuse block at the driver's end of the dash, and found none bad. (I checked visually, with a continuity meter and an ohm meter,
I've checked the supply terminal for each fuse with a volt meter.)

I recently replaced the shift cable from the steering column to the transmission.

I'm hoping someone with superior 4L60E knowledge (that's almost anyone) can make some sense from these conditions.
Thanks in advance. johnnya

Old 05-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum.
Does your transmission have this switch on the side where shifter linkage is?

Old 05-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Beginning Member

I can't get a good look at it due to the front driveshaft, but I think I DO have that switch on the side

Old 05-12-2019, 01:12 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I didn't know they had limp modes in 95. So, your symptoms are not shifting into OD and TC lockup?

Old 05-12-2019, 02:36 PM
Beginning Member

Correct, I can put the gear selector into second gear and start off, then shift to drive, but it doesn't seem to go into overdrive or the converter lock up.
If I don’t put the gear selector in 2nd it starts in 3rd.
when I first start the car it operates normally until I come to a stop, then it starts off in 3rd.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I didn't know they had limp modes in 95. So, your symptoms are not shifting into OD and TC lockup?

No 1st gear either. I would look into the switch that I pictured. Being broken or cracked when replacing shift cable. I know it didn’t come off but just a slight bump, lever over extending. They are like a light bulb, they work till they don’t. Why was shift cable replaced and did you have these symptoms before replacing cable?
Brad

Old 05-12-2019, 06:19 PM
Beginning Member

I replaced the shift cable because the gear selector would not go into park. I adjusted it to the full extent of the adjustment, but it only cured the problem for a few days. I believe the cable housing had worn to the point that the cable was flexing inside the housing.
It’s worked well ever since the new cable was installed.
i still can’t get the gear selector to go to 1st gear position, but I believe that’s due to wear in the steering column shift mechanism.
This was about 4 weeks ago.
The limp mode only happened less than a week ago.
I can replace the neutral start switch easily if you think that might be the problem.
I’ve seen references to a “transmission position sensor”.
Is that the proper, or an alternate name for the switch in question?

Last edited by johnnya; 05-12-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:31 AM

It’s called many names. Lol! Get a MLPS switch (manual lever position sensor) AC Delco #24229422, doesn’t have to be that brand, just giving you the OEM # for cross reference. Be careful installing it as the position is critical. There is an alignment strip that is attached that gets removed after installing it. Then adjust your shift cable to it, don’t pull or push on the lever to meet the cable. Good luck!
Brad

Old 05-13-2019, 09:13 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks, I plan to do that today, time permitting.
I’ll post the result. 😁

Old 05-13-2019, 11:30 AM

A tip on getting the plugs out of the original switch is to apply heat to soften the glue/sealer. I use a heat gun but have seen the R&R guy use the drop light laid up against it and use the heat from the bulb. You will need to drop the front drive shaft also to get to the switch. Take your time don’t force anything and I believe you will have a successful repair.
Brad

Quick Reply: 1995 Blazer, 4 wheel drive, 4L60E trans in limp mode