Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1995 Blazer pretty sure fuel pump is out but just double checking

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Starting Member
kerander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1995 Blazer pretty sure fuel pump is out but just double checking

Hey guys. My 95 Blazer 4x4 has 165,000 miles on it. Been running ok lately, but I was up in Indianapolis (I live in Southern Indiana) and while driving it quit on me just like it would have if it had run out of gas. The it would crank, but not start.

Being away from home, I tried to diagnose quickly and noticed the battery was low on charge so I thought maybe it was a bad cell, or the alternator crapped out. Swapped both and no change. Then I suspected the ever common fuel pump. At key on there was NO sound from the pump. Checked the relay - nothing. I had noticed lately that I was hearing the whining sound from the fuel pump that I usually hear if I am starting to get low on fuel, except I wasn't low on fuel. Was that a death rattle? It wasn't exhibiting the other usual signs of a failing fuel pump. Fuel pressure was negligible from the check valve - not surprising considering the fuel pump isn't getting energized.

I know there is one other thing to check before assuming that it's almost certainly the fuel pump and that's the ecm fuse in the engine compartment. However I haven't looked in there in a while and I'm not sure what to look for. Because I have to hop a ride with a friend to get up there to check on the vehicle, does anyone know more specifically where to look?

And finally, does anyone happen to know how many shops hours is usually billed for swapping a fuel pump in one of these? It's really cold outside and my truck is sitting on the side of a very busy road so I'm thinking I'm going to have to get it done at a shop up there.

Thanks.

Last edited by kerander; 03-06-2014 at 09:23 AM.