Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1995 Blazer - Valve Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Beginning Member
chevyblazerfan is on a distinguished road

How do you adjust the valves on a 1995 Blazer? Haynes shows 1994 VIN Z adjustment like I've always known to adjust valves (zero lash then an additional 3/4 turn), but it also goes on to say:

On most models covered by this book there are no provisions for valve adjustment. The rocker arm studs have a positive stop shoulder for the rocker arm nuts. After valve service, tighten the rocker arm nuts to the torque listed...in specifications
I have 1995 VIN W. So how do I know which procedure the valves get adjusted? May be lack of sleep, but the book has me confused as to the correct procedure. Also, I don't think I have moly-base grease for lube. Is there a suitable replacement grease? Lithium spray grease work OK?

ETA- when I look in specs, it says: Rocker arm nuts (bolts on 2000 and later) 20 Ft-lbs

Oh, and I had another question. I got the heads back from the shop today. When they did the valve job, they disassembled the rockers from the heads and threw them into a box. I had labeled the push rods to reinstall them in their original positions. So what do I do now that the shop just threw the rocker arms into the box? Is it going to mess anything up with the rocker arms being in different positions than they were before??

Last edited by swartlkk; 04-22-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: **Combining Consective Posts** - Please use the EDIT feature to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My references show 18ftlbs for the rocker arm nuts on your engine.

Do the rockers look like the positive stop type or the floating type? Can you snap a picture?

And as far as the rocker order goes, that's pretty much shot now. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure they are clean.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah, I'll have pics posted shortly...

Last edited by swartlkk; 04-23-2010 at 07:19 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

Those are positive stop rockers. About all you can do is pull them down till it hits the shoulder and then torque them to the recommended specs. They are non adjustable. The hydraulic lifters will set their own lash.

Another thing you can do is spray them with a light coating of lube. This prevents a dry start as the oil has to work its way thru the pushrods. Also pour oil on them before you put the valve covers on.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Beginning Member

Torque them all with number 1 TDC or does that matter (no. 1 TDC is where it is sitting right now)?

Old 04-22-2010, 09:47 PM

It shouldn't matter what position the engine is in as they only go down so far then stop on those shoulders. Some of them will have some pressure and be a bit harder to bring down but its only spring pressure.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, definitely the positive stop rocker arm studs. The ones you can adjust yourself would not have that shoulder on them.

I would still torque them with the valve closed, not open. The spring pressure could throw off your torque value. So torque all of them that are closed and then rotate the engine to get some more closed, etc.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:23 AM

After I started thinking about the lube question a better choice is to go to your neartest auto parts store and get a tube of Assembly Lube. Its a white looking goop you use when putting engines together. It melts into the oil when it gets warm and pretty much dissapears and it's not real expensive.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Beginning Member

Yeah, I was doing some thinking on the spring pressure while torquing. So your sources say 18 ft lbs. for the rocker arm nuts? My book has no value for pre-2000 models, unless I missed it somewhere? And I'll go ahead and grab the assembly lube while I'm out today.

Quick Reply: 1995 Blazer - Valve Adjustment