Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

2000 4.3 Stalling on turns

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 01:50 AM
Beginning Member
TH2kBlazer is on a distinguished road

Well 2:30 in the morning and had to have my buddy jump my car.

Went out outside (0 degree weather) turned ignition on and car started right up. Let it idle for about 5 mins got maybe 1/8 warmed up.

Put it in reverse and started turning the wheel to the right, rpms dropped to about 200 then completely died a second later.
Threw the car in neutral and she wouldn't start for 10 mins, cranked until the battery died( yeah I need a new battery too lol) hooked my buddy's truck up and still wouldn't start.
Next I turned my wheel straight and leftish as it never stalls on left turns. Still no start.
Next I pushed her around a couple feet forward and back, straightened the wheels out again, turned the key and bam instantly fired up.

These just don't sound like symptoms of a IAT sensor. As wouldn't those symptoms happen on any turn or position?

Maybe something in the steering column? I don't really have funds to be throwing more parts at this thing right now they may or may not fix it, I appreciate the help just trying to pinpoint possible causes a bit better before buying parts! Thinking about taking apart the plastics around the column to see if I can recreate the problem by wiggling wires.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

Yeah this sounds like something electrical is shorting out. strangest circumstances i ever heard. Possible issue with the ignition switch. turning the steering wheel maybe moving a bad connection around and cause some kind of short. Does the volt gauge do anything funny when this happens?

Old 02-23-2015, 09:17 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Gregg64
Yeah this sounds like something electrical is shorting out. strangest circumstances i ever heard. Possible issue with the ignition switch. turning the steering wheel maybe moving a bad connection around and cause some kind of short. Does the volt gauge do anything funny when this happens?
volts stay perfectly fine until the car wants to stall out( minus when I'm beating on my sub with all other electronics on it'll drop to maybe 13~ but never below). What baffles me is that I wanna think it's a short, but if it was a short then it would happen whenever I turn the wheel and not just when im turning and giving the car gas. Plus the fact that it wont happen if the car is warm or ambient weather is warm. Is the car under any different load when turning right?
Even a slight merge right can cause this and NEVER left turns😕
EDIT: so backing out of my driveway last night I reached the street turned the wheel left and the car ALMOST stalled but caught itself after I let off the gas. And rpms increased and bounced a couple times under heavier load as I went straight down the street(bouncing higher not dropping out). The bouncing stopped as the engine warmed up, so maybe this could be that cold intake sensor hmm

Last edited by TH2kBlazer; 02-24-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Starting Member

Theres that "Things That make You Go HMMM" i was talking about in another post. I still think that intake sensor needs to be checked. Can't hurt.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Beginning Member

Went and bought a new battery today dura with 850cca hooked it up and car started right up, then tried to recreate my problem and it has yet to stall on me! I
don't know if maybe it was a bad cell shorting or or something but seems to have solved that! Well try and recreate the problem though. Although I still have nice hesitation in rpm climbing in these cold conditions.
May try the sensor next.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Starting Member

Im sure there must be a test that can be performed to check it , just not sure what it is. As far as the stalling it probably was a bad ground moving just enough when you where turning right. Possibly the battery terminals or the grounding wire to the alternator.